Glossary, Chronological Events and War Details

Glossary:

Impuissance:
powerlessness revealed by an inability to act

Aggravation:
an exasperated feeling of annoyance

Chronological events:

23rd October, 1778 - Birth of Chennamma

1816- Death of Raja Mallasarja

1824- Death of Shivaligarudra Sarjan

1824- Declaring Shivalingappa as the heir

October 1824- First war of Kittur

21st October, 1824- Second war of Kittur

21st February, 1829- Death of Chennamma

April 1830- Death of Sangolli Rayanna

Doctrine of Lapse

The Doctrine of Lapse which was officially codified between 1848 and 1856 by Lord Dalhousie. According to the doctrine, any princely state or territory under the paramountcy (direct influence) of the British East India Company as a "vassal" under the British subsidiary system, would automatically be annexed if the ruler was either "manifestly incompetent or died without a male heir". This Doctrine rejected the long-established right of an Indian ruler without an heir to choose a successor. The doctrine was regarded by Indians as illegitimate. It was an arbitrary policy which snatched away kingdoms when there was no direct heir.

Wars Details

The Britishers tried to confiscate the treasures of Kittur which were of value 1.5 million. They failed initially but with treachery, they succeed.

For the first battle, a force of 20,000 men and 400 guns, mainly from the third troop of Madras Native Horse Artillery, they attacked Kitturu.

The second battle was on 21st October 1824 with an army of two hundred men and four guns, mainly from the third troop of Madras Native Horse Artillery. They were defeated again but yet again with treachery, they won.