A MOTHER'S TRUE STRENGTH

“My mommy is stronger than yours”
“No mine is.”
“My mother might be small but she’s pretty tough too.”
Silver sighed as his friends debated on whose mother was the strongest. Nashi was the one who started it after she witnessed her mother taking down some bandits on her job. Simon who was as cool and collective as his father, with all his grace defended his mother too. Metallicana, who was as small and timid as her mother was butted in the argument too. All but Silver; he could not defend his mother as he has never witnessed her fight before. He had heard people speak of her strength but he never saw it in her. If he were to be honest to himself he believed his mother was weak. All she did was house chores and if she went on missions they would only last a few days or less. He had once thought of asking his uncles and aunts about her strength but they all gave the same reply. 
“She’s one of the strongest in the guild”
He wanted to see this for himself. He had once read where another guild said she was a weakling and a bad person who was to be behind bars. He asked his father about it and he told him of her earlier years in Phantom.
“So mom was a bad person?”
“Well, I wouldn’t say that. I guess she just needed some direction.”
“Enough talking you two, dinner is ready and waiting. Wash up before coming down Silver.”
“Okay mom.”
No matter what the others told him about his mother he still thought of her as not weak but not half as strong as his friends’ mothers.

A week later
“Juvia doesn’t want to go.”
“Come on Juvia you already told Mira you’ll take care of it.”
“Juvia only did it because she thought it would be what Silver-san wants.”
“What would make you think that?”
“Because Juvia heard he’s been asking others why I didn’t take longer missions; ones that last longer than just a few days.”
“So you’re doing this for him?”
“Yes. Juvia wants to but the mission’s going to last a whole week. Juvia doesn’t want to stay so long away from her family. Not like last time.”
“Juvia, Silver’s ten years old, I’m a grown man. I’m pretty sure I can handle this by myself. Besides you need this little break from the house chores and taking care of us.”
“Juvia knows Gray-sama. But remember what happened last time. Silver cried so much for me he was hoarse for two days.”
“He was a baby then and I told you to stop blaming yourself for that. If anyone is to be blamed it should be me. I told you to take that mission.”
“But”
“No buts. You should go Juvia you and I both know you need this as in a few months from now you won’t be able to.” Gray touched her stomach.
“But won’t this be dangerous for the baby.”
“All you’ll be doing is accompanying the princess to a ball, teaching her everything she should know before her wedding and such.”
“Lucy-san should have been the one to do this.”
“But you’re just as beautiful as her even more.” Gray leaned in towards his wife.
”You’ve got grace all over you even when—”
“Oh Silver-san! Good morning honey. How was your sleep?” Juvia pushed away from her husband and stepped towards her son.
“Fine.”

“So Mom, Dad, the Grand Magic Games’ coming up and I decided I want to take part in it.” Juvia stopped midway in sipping her tea.
“Well that’s great Silver.”
“What? Gray-sama he’s too young”
“Honey, I’m sure he’ll be able to handle it.”
“But he’s still a child and competing in the GMG’s very dangerous and you should know this.”
“He’ll be fine Juvia. He’s got our blood running through his veins.”
“Juvia has a bad feeling about this. I don’t want you to compete Silver and that’s final.”
“But mom”
“No buts young man.”
“Juvia can’t you think about it.”
“Gray-sama he’s—”
“I hate you! I’m going to the guild!” Silver slammed his hands on the table and ran out the door. Juvia looked at his back as it disappeared behind the door.
“You know he doesn’t.”
“Yes he does. I’m a horrible mother.” She placed her head on the table while her husband soothed her.
“He’s growing up so he’ll have his days of being rebellious. I was like that once. He’ll come around.”
“But we’ve been disagreeing on most things lately. He tells you things he won’t tell me.”
“You read too much into these things you jealous bean.”
“Ju-Juvia’s not jealous!”
“Oh you aren’t?”
“Gray-sama stop teasing Juvia. You’re so mean.”
“Says the one who wouldn’t give me a kiss this morning.”
“But Silver-san was coming.”
“Not like he hasn’t seen us before. You’re way too shy.”
Juvia pushed her lips unto his initiating a deep kiss.
“Not always.” Gray held her close to him.
“Prove it.”
“Let’s go to the bedroom then.”