3: He's Here

(Jimin POV)

The hospital seemed more empty now a days, at least in my wing. I observed all the empty rooms as I walked to the elevators. Easily, I concluded six out of ten rooms were empty, more or less. Empty rooms meant no patients, no patients meant I was alone again. However, it also meant people were happy and healthy, and to me, that mattered more than my own happiness.

I hadn't realized I'd been smiling to myself in front of the elevator until it dinged open, a wave of nurses promptly exiting without a word to me.

I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the first floor. I wanted to spend some time in the garden. It was autumn, which meant the colors were beautiful. Excitedly, I watched the floors count down until it hit one. Without a pause, I practically leaped out as soon at the doors opened...and bumped straight into someone's chest.

"Watch it, stupid kid."

I stepped back immediately and looked up at the owner of the voice. An older man, with cold eyes and a sort of scary seriousness. He was wearing what was clearly an expensive suit. The woman next to him had elegance written all over her. Unlike him, she had kind eyes and looked apologetic. She was carrying a rather large duffel bag. She was more or less my height, while the man towered over me.

"I'm sorry, sir. " I lowered my head apologetically, only to be shoved out of the way by a rough hand on my shoulder. Startled, I fell backwards, just barely catching my fall with my hands.

I watched from my place on the floor as the two stepped on the elevator. The woman looked sad, the man looked angry, and before I could see anything else, the doors closed.

"What a way to start a day..." I shook my head with a chuckle, groaning as I stood up and dusted myself off. I began to walk to the exit, but not before I took one last glance at the elevator. It was clear they had just received some bad news...I could only hope everything would work out for them.

As soon as I opened the door to the garden, a comfortable, cold breeze bit what was exposed of my cheeks and forehead. Because of my condition, I got cold easily, so I was wearing light winter clothes. And of course, a mask. Every part of me was covered, except for my hair and whatever the mask didn't hide.

The garden was bathed in warm tones. Orange, red, yellow, and brown all mixed together to form the most beautiful array of colors. I walked toward a picnic table under one of the biggest trees and pulled a chair out, brushing off a few fallen leaves before sitting down.

I pulled my mask down to my chin, taking a deep breath. My lungs filled with the crisp, refreshing autumn air. It was like a cold drink on a hot day. It felt energizing.

Anyone would feel that I was being way to dramatic about air. But I'd been cooped up so long, any chance to venture outside was precious.

From where I sat, I could look up into the hospital through the clear glass walls. People were rushing about, some carrying ballons, others talking on the phone.

I sighed and crossed my arms, resting them on the table as I looked around the garden. The man was sitting at the same bench a good distance from me, completely still.

He was always there. As far as I can remember, he was always around. It was kind of creepy, but on the days he wasn't there, which were rare, it felt kind of empty. Poor guy, whoever he's visiting must not be getting any better. I had always been curious about him... I'd even asked Seokjin about this guy...

"Don't talk to him. " was the only answer I'd received. No explanation, nothing. Just a warning. Then again, I had been very young when I asked. Maybe now I'd get an answer, and permission to maybe keep the man company.