Chapter 12 - Friends and Family

A/N: This is actually the shortest chapter in the story.... but only because it was supposed to be a part of chapter 11 and I had cut it out.

Hours had passed since the incident, and Riley felt restless, the police had come and gone, everyone had stopped by asking about what had happened. But everything felt out of place to her and she didn't understand why. It could have been how the police had told them that they would look into it but without solid evidence that it had been a break in, they didn't have much to go on except for the small drive that had been in the computer. It could belong to anyone according to them, and so it put Riley on edge that someone could get that close to them and still get away with it.

Whatever drastic thing Lucas's ex was planning could only end in heartache, and the fact that she had been there and was holding onto information on the people closest to Lucas could only mean that whatever was going to happen could only hurt them all in the end. Riley couldn't think of anything else and feared having the thanksgiving dinner in the bar but she also knew that the moment they changed their lives then Lucas's ex would win.

So, Riley did what she did best, she planned the dinner around the security installation that Lucas was overseeing at the bar. The security office would be closed for the holiday weekend, Lucas wanted the staff to have time with their family and not overwork them. But all it did was keep Riley on edge because she wondered if the lack of security at the office would be a good idea. Lucas had reassured her several times that there were a few workers who were staying behind to work, and they were going to be paid very well for their time.

She worked on her papers for school while her legs were on Lucas's lap, as he worked on anything they needed to have finished before their Thursday dinner. Even doing her work as his assistant from the bar without trying to freak out because there was the possibility that something could happen. Working was the only thing she could think to do, so Lucas worked on upgrading everything from the doors to the bar to the doors to the building. Security measures were being put in place, the building was safer than it had ever been, but she didn't feel safe unless they were together because she knew nothing could happen to him if she could see him.

"You're staring," he said to her that night after he noticed how she would follow him with her eyes. She was afraid for him, and worried for him and she couldn't shake the feeling.

"Sorry, I guess I'm a little... I don't know," she sighed trying to reign in her anxiety about the whole situation. Lucas didn't say another word, instead he walked over to where she was sitting and put his arms around her.

"I know it's a lot," he said softly in her ear. "I know your worried about me because I'm worried about you, but for now let's get through the weekend and after it's over we'll worry about everything else."

She nodded as she held onto his arms as she watched the people in front of her work on the security. "Is it a good idea to have the dinner here?"

"Yes, because after they're done this place will be secure and well monitored and nothing will happen to anyone unless they allow it, including the customers," he said before pulling away from her and taking her hand so he could pull her into his arms. "Don't worry too much, as long as we're all together nothing can really happen, plus she'll probably stay away now that the police are involved."

"Okay," she whispered as she inhaled his scent, it was comforting to her for some reason, like the outdoors mixed with his aftershave. Which was strange because they lived in a huge city surrounded by concrete, there were very few trees unless they were in a park.

"How about we go out to lunch and let the guys finish the work?" Lucas asked pulling away from her. "I asked your dad to come with us too that way we could have a family moment, and it will help calm your nerves a bit to be around him."