Chapter 4 - What is a Lie if the truth hurts more

It was early Tuesday morning when Lucas walked out of his room and found himself in front of Maya and Zay who were both awake earlier than they normally were on a regular day. He knew that the two of them were up to something and since Lucas had spent most of the day Monday staying away from the pair since he was sure that they were both up to something. Maya had gone out with Josh yet again, but he was nowhere in sight that morning so that meant that he hadn't slept over at all. Zay was grinning at him from the kitchen and Lucas wasn't sure what the guy had in his head at that moment but it couldn't be good in anyway.

"I don't want to know," he said automatically as he walked over to the coffee machine and poured himself a cup. He found himself smiling as he took the first sip of his coffee, he couldn't help but think about taking Riley's coffee the day before.

"Someone's happy today," Maya said looking at him from the dining room table. "Did something good happen yesterday because when you left here you were in a mood."

"I'm going to ignore that," he said looking over at her. "Especially since you've had your boyfriend over almost every minute since he asked you out."

"Oh please," she said throwing a napkin at him. "You've had your whatever hookups over more than I can count over the last few years."

He hadn't been in a relationship since he broke up with his ex but he hadn't had someone over since the breakup either.

"Oh, please Lucas over here had been rusty as hell," Zay said joining them at the table. "I haven't seen him with anyone since... shit it's been a year... maybe more I don't know."

"It's nice to see you two so heavily invested in my love life and not your own... are you both done pining? Are so bored now that you've already moved on," he said trying not to roll his eyes at them.

"We just want you to be happy geez," Maya said as she tried to push him. "Is it so bad for me to worry about my brother? Huh Lucas is it that bad."

"Yes, because if you're worrying about me then mom is worrying about me and I don't have time to deal with the two of you at the same time."

"This brings back memories," Zay said smiling at the two of them. "Remember prom night, he didn't want to go at all and your mom made him ask someone and go."

"It was supposed to be a night you're never going to forget, she told him a few times, so he asked the head cheerleader and of course she said yes because Lucas was the bad boy of the school," Maya added with a smile. "What was her name again?"

"Jenna, I remember her well," Zay said with a smile that made Lucas groan. "She was a beauty, whatever happened to her?"

"Her ex-boyfriend tried to start a fight and got knocked out remember, and she started fawning over him like he was a hero but instead he was a bully, her best friend had gone with him because they were all fighting with one another," Maya said but Lucas was trying to ignore them all. "Oh, you took her best friend home that night."

"Yeah, and if I remember she had been crying so much that he had nearly jumped out of his own car," Zay said before he started laughing.

"I wonder what happened to those three?" Maya asked looking over at Lucas as if he knew the answers to everything.

"Jenna married her ex, apparently she had gotten pregnant around that time," Zay answered, his best friend loved gossip he knew that much, and as long as it wasn't about Lucas himself he didn't care. "The guy tried to blame Lucas for getting his girl pregnant, and that had resulted in a bloody nose, they almost didn't let him graduate because of all of that, but the school had gotten a notice saying that the two of them had lied because they were trying to make everyone think that Lucas was horrible, except his grades were in the top ten and he was going to Columbia."