Chapter Three

“Maddie, go get the other girls,”

          Mackenzie glanced over at her sister, who had been silently running her solo in the corner of Studio A. Both of the girls were supposed to be given privates to work on their numbers that day, but Abby’s schedule had been nearly full, and she’d only had thirty minutes to work with the Ziegler sisters. Abby had gone over Maddie’s solo once, decided it was almost perfect, and turned to Mackenzie.

          Within seconds, Maddie had gathered the rest of the group, and Abby called them over to her, “I want you all to critique each other on your solos, and we’ll see who did the best. Asia, you’re first.”

          Mackenzie let out a quiet sigh and sat near the mirrors. This was just another competition she would lose. Abby had already told them that the age groups for this competition were weird and that they were all in the same division. Going against her sister was hard enough but the whole team…that was impossible.

          “Here is contestant number blank, Asia, with ‘Lightning.’” Abby said in her announcer voice.

          Asia’s music started, and she began her dance. There were a lot of turns and kicks and a bit of acro. Her performance was amazing; much more confident than Mackenzie.

          Chloe raised her hand before speaking, “You need to work on your feet, but that’s really it.”

          “Yeah,” Nia agreed. “Otherwise it’s really good.”

          Abby called up the next dancer, “Mackenzie,”

          She quickly stood up and got into her starting position-a chin stand. A few turns, leaps, and aerials later she was done.

          This time, Maddie’s hand was first in the air, “You need to make eye contact.” She said bluntly.

          “And your feet are sickled a lot.” Kendall added.

          Mackenzie nodded before sitting back down. She didn’t know why, but those comments really got to her.

          The rest of the dances went by in a blur until she got to Chloe’s. Her dance ‘Let Him Go’ was lyrical ballet and one of the most difficult numbers Mackenzie had ever seen. The number showed off all of Chloe’s strengths and hid her tiny technical flaws. It was practically perfect.

          “When you turn,” Maddie said “One of your shoulders is higher than the other,”

          Mackenzie frowned. Did Maddie really have to say something about every single number?

          “Chloe, I think your dance is perfect, and I can’t wait to see it on stage,” Mackenzie smiled at her friend before she sat down.

          “Chloe!” Abby’s loud voice filled the room with tension, “I think this dance will look very nice on stage.”

          Chloe grinned and responded, “Thank you, Miss Abby,”

          Paige was next; her solo ‘Vegas’ was a fun jazz number, and Mackenzie didn’t really watch it. Sure she liked jazz, but the more meaningful numbers were the ones Mackenzie loved. She wanted to tell a story.

          After Paige’s critiques, Abby began the voting. She gave them all small pieces of paper and pencils. In her neatest handwriting, Mackenzie wrote ‘Chloe’ and handed her paper back to Abby.

“We’ll look at these later,” Abby said and excused them all except Kendall, saying she needed a lot of work.

          Once in the dancers den, Mackenzie grabbed her backpack and started her homework. She had had two study halls that day and was able to do everything but math during the day.

          “Why do I even have to do this?” Mackenzie muttered under her breath.

          “Have to do what?”

          Mackenzie glanced up from her math workbook only to see Chloe, “It’s nothing,”

          “Are you having trouble in school?” Chloe asked “If you are I can help you. I’m not really a good tutor, but I think it would help. If you need help anyway. I’m not saying that you do need help, but...do you?”

          Typical Chloe, Mackenzie thought. Always wanting to help but not really knowing how to offer because of her reserved side.

          Mackenzie laughed “I’m fine Chloe.” She threw her workbook on the ground, “What’s you solo about? I didn’t really understand it.”

          Chloe sat down next to her, “Well…Abby didn’t really explain it, but I think it’s about this girl who’s getting married, and she knows the guy she’s engaged to doesn’t really love her. So she has to let him go.”

          “Oh,” Mackenzie said, hoping she wouldn’t have to go through an experience like that.

          “It’s pretty deep,” Chloe frowned as she said it.

          The two talked school and friends until it was time for them to leave. When the time came, Mackenzie gave Chloe a quick hug before slipping on her sweatpants, boots, and jacket. The Ziegler’s rushed out to their car, and once they were in their car Melissa asked her regular question.

          “How was dance?”

          “It was fine.” Mackenzie grumbled.

          Maddie rolled her eyes at her sister, “Well I liked it. We had this competition, but Abby hasn’t said who won yet. Did you see our solos?”

          Melissa nodded. “Your solo is beautiful, Maddie. But, Kenz, your choreography isn’t that good.”

          “It’s fine, I guess,” Mackenzie shrugged.

          Melissa always made her feel as though everything she thought was wrong. Mackenzie loved that dance. It challenged her, and she didn’t really have to focus on her emotions.

          Something against her leg vibrated, and knowing it was her phone, Mackenzie reached into her pocket.

          There was a text. From Tyler.