Chapter 49 - Digging a Little Deeper

Calum's POV

I put the doll down, and set aside the box in front of me, standing up from the beanbag I was sitting on. "You have to come with me." 

Ethan threw me a confused look, "Why? Is this really that messy?"

"No, well yeah, but I need to show you something." I proceeded with walking to the door as I hear Ethan dumping all the things he had in his hand before and followed me.

"Where exactly are we going?" He asked from behind me, exiting his house and to my car.

Ethan closed the door, locking it before following me to my car. He sat in the passenger seat and I started my car. "To my apartment."

He nodded in response, looking out the window. I decided to give him an introduction to what I'm going to say which is everything. He knows a lot, so I'd have to tell him everything I know if I want him to help him.

"What would you feel if I tell you that I think Maya's alive?" He snapped his head to face me and looked at me as if I was crazy for saying that. Well, I might be, actually.

"Are you crazy?! Why would you think that? She's dead." He sternly stated.

I glanced briefly at him, "There was no body found!" I argued but he was firm with his argument. "I know but that doesn't mean that she didn't die! I was there. I know that."

Wait, he was there? "You were there? Why didn't I see you there? Wait, I remember a kid crying, that was you? The one in the yellow jacket?" I can't believe I remember that vividly but yeah I do remember every detail of what happened that night.

"What do you mean? You saw me? You were there, too?" He asked back. I guess now's the time I tell him the truth.

"Yeah, I was there. Malia was uh my friend, until now, actually." I revealed and he furrowed his eyes. "You were friends with Malia, why didn't you tell me?!"

"I'm telling you now!" I exclaimed.

He scoffed, "Huh, yeah, you could've told me when I told you about Maya!"

"I was still confirming if she's the same person! Oh come on. I never met Maya so I don't really know her." I argued. I can't believe we're fighting about this in my car, while I'm driving.

He sighed and continued, "How uh how is this even possible? I mean, it really is a small world. How close were you with Malia?"

I guess there's no point in hiding. Plus I trust Ethan, believe it or not. "She's uh we kind of had a thing."

He laughed and spoke, "Okay, that is really a small world, I dated Maya and you dated Malia."

"Malia and I were never official." I corrected.

"Oh. Still! But I'm still a little upset that you didn't tell me sooner."

"Like I said, I was still confirming some things and right now, I need you 'cause you're the only person who really knew Maya." I explained, calmed down a little bit from earlier's mini screaming match.

"Why are you so interested in Maya?" He curiously asked, although I already told him my main agenda, he wouldn't believe it.

I looked at him briefly in disbelief, "I told you, I think-"

"Maya is alive, yeah you already said that. I mean, why are you so interested? You said you never met her. If you're that interested, why not ask her sister? You said you're still friends, that means you still talk to her." He's right, I could, but why don't I?

I shrugged and thought of the only excuse I could think of, "She came back recently and I just uh, she," I stopped myself from speaking because I realized something.