She Deserved Nothing More (i)

Eve looked at the papers Mark had thrown down in front of her. She fidgeted, her eyes lingering for a moment as she twirled her wedding ring around her finger- the usually calming action didn't seem to work this time and what was sat in front of her on the table was the very reason why. Her hands shook once she eventually decided to open the brown envelope and read the contents of the pages. She knew already what was written on them although she was still in disbelief.

"Look Eve, this isn't working out anymore. I've found someone else."

Eve didn't need Mark's admission, she had known herself that this was coming, she knew he had been with other women since their marriage- she just never wanted to actually believe it. She tried to hold back the tears, snatching the envelope and papers up from the table and grabbing her coat.

She couldn't look at him.

She couldn't even open her mouth to speak a word to him.

After her realisation that she deserved nothing more.

She was furious, she wanted to kick and scream and burst into a fit of tears, allow all the frustration and anguish leave her body in one sitting but Eve was aware it would never be that easy.

Mark flinched at the sound of the front door being slammed shut. He stood in the kitchen alone for a while, the scent of her signature perfume lingered- it almost made him want to change his mind because of all the memories it brought to the forefront of his mind, but he couldn't. He was finally making the decision he had been waiting so long to decide on.

Meanwhile, Eve stormed down their street, the street where they moved in to their house. The realisation that nothing was hers on her own since Mark came along, and that she happily would have it remain that way for the rest of her life saddened her. It was the type of sadness that didn't go away when you though of something else, because it was too strong to push to the back of your thoughts. Instead, it lingered in every other thought you made, sometimes you may think it has disappeared but it's much more difficult to shake. It filled every part of her body, every limb, every bone, suddenly it felt like it had seeped into her eyesight, making everything that was once colourful turn into different shades of grey.

She was falling apart mentally, yet physically she was very well kept together, much to her dismay. Eve didn't stop walking, she kept going and going. She didn't know where she was going or what she was doing but it felt better to walk and get as far away from Mark as physically possible by foot. It had been an impulse she did not regret. She couldn't face him, she couldn't even begin to put together the pieces of events that had happened over the last couple of months that had led to that day, the day their marriage had finally fell apart.

Disgusted, that was what she felt.

Disappointed, full of doubt and completely desolate.

Desolate because she knew she deserved nothing more.

Eve hadn't cried yet, it took another half an hour of walking until she reached a quiet road in an estate and sat down on a path, head in her hands, that she eventually burst into convulsions of crying. She felt so disgusting, knowing she had been with Mark while he was with someone else. A million questions ran through her mind, too many to even comprehend.

Who was it?

How long had it been going on?

Was it his first affair?

The questions wouldn't stop, no matter how hard she tried. She wondered if she would ever ask Mark all of them, she didn't think she would have the guts. Eve didn't even want to picture him in that moment, she couldn't bare the memories that had come flooding back to her from their days spent together in the beginning, their wedding day and up until he handed her the divorce papers almost an hour ago. They felt as if they were rotting her mind.

To add to the questions was the dreaded memories, Eve had no control over her body or her mind that day. She did not have a say in what was demanding to be felt or remembered or cumulated in a list of things she needed to ask.  Suddenly she was brought back to the many times Mark's little habits would make her smile. How he could trace a circle on her shoulder while they were talking in bed, how he would smile every time he sat down to one of her meals, how his left eyebrow arched up way higher than his right when he laughed. But instead of these things making her smile like they usually did, they made her cry even more instead.

For a while she completely disintegrated into the path, she was nothing more than thick tears, sorrowful memories, gloomy questions

And one realisation:

She deserved nothing more.

She stayed that way a couple minutes longer until a ball rolled slowly toward her and hit her foot. Eve looked up and was surprised to see a group of young kids across the street, one walking toward her.

"Here misses, would you pass us over that ball there please?" one shouted over while the one walking toward her was almost in front of her. She only needed to tip the ball with her foot in order for it to reach the young boy. He picked up the ball and replied.

"Thanks." But he had not left yet, he stood there with the ball under his arm and a curious look coming over his features. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." She lied, knowing the boy would most likely take her word for it either way. She nodded at him when she spoke, and a small smile crept up onto her lips, the feeling being alien to her. It took so much effort, but it was not impossible.

Eve sat there again on her own, this time listening to the children playing. They were loud but not loud enough to drown out the rage that came with the realisation that repeated itself over and over again, echoing around her skull.

The tables had turned.

Karma had finally reached her.

And she deserved nothing more.