Chapter 2- Seeing the girls

Lucy tossed and turned in the dark, failing to sleep. Her heart monitor's slow, emotionless beeping and just the presence of her drip where disturbing her sleep. But what was really keeping her awake was her fear, fear that Strider would come back. Gru hadn't heard anything from Dru and Jake all day so something was clearly wrong.

She clutched her pillow tight and squeezed her eyes shut, as an attempt to fall asleep but it didn't help. She could see nurses shoes walking up and down the corridor in their high heels, yet another thing keeping her awake. She didn't have her phone on her as Strider had broken it, so she couldn't text Gru to tell him what was on her mind.
She lay on her back with her arms stretched out and sighed. She tried to flood herself with happy memories of her family, like the time when her and the girls played their favourite game: Princesses, Unicorns and Dragons, when she was just starting to date Gru. She had been playing Princess #1, Margo was Princess #2, Agnes was The Magic Unicorn and Edith was an evil dragon. It was a silly game that didn't really make much sense but they all loved every second of it.

Lucy felt her eyelids droop and she smiled as she drifted off to sleep.

The morning arrived quicker than expected and Lucy felt her excitement arise as she knew that Gru was coming and hopefully he would be bringing the girls with him.

"Come on gurls up yoo get, we're seeing your mum today." Gru announced, walking into the girl's room.

"Yay!" Agnes yelled, leaping out of her bomb bed "We'll be able to play princess games, oh oh! And she can see Lucky, Kyle and the minions! Right? Can we take them with us?"

Gru bit his lip, trying to think up a reply to his youngest child. She didn't understand the condition that her mother was in but he should probably warn her that she wouldn't be in the best state.

"I'm sorry sweetie, but mummy might not be up to seeing Lucky, Kyle or de minions today." Gru said.

Agnes' face fell and she muttered a small "why?"
Margo and Edith's faces looked up in concern.

"Because, your mummy is really poorly sweetheart and she's very tired so I don't think she is up to too many guests." Gru replied.

Agnes nodded silently as she pulled a pink and purple fairy dress over her head.

"Why are yoo wearing dat Agnes? Yoo know dat dress is only for dress up games and fancy dress parties!" Gru scolded, he was already as anxious and stressed as he was, he didn't need Agnes to mess around like this.

"I want to wear it. This is the first thing mummy bought me when she was dating you! I just know that she'd love to see me in it!"

Gru couldn't help but smile at Agnes, so innocent, thoughtful and sweet. He just couldn't say no to her and he knew all too well that Lucy would be pleased to see her in that dress.

"Alright. You can wear it."

"Yay!!!" Agnes cheered, yanking a pair of glittery tights to go with it.

Margo and Edith stuck to normal items of clothing. Margo wore a black T-shirt with a red rose, a pair of jeans, black socks, red converse and a brown jacket. Edith wore a pink T-shirt with a black skull on the front, her pink hat (of course), a pair of denim shorts, pink socks and white trainers.
Gru stuck to his normal, everyday clothing.

Just then Agnes picked up a Disney Rapunzel doll and showed it to Gru.

"Could I take her with me? She's only one more guest." Agnes pouted.

Gru stiffed a small chuckle. Before saying "yes of course you can honey."

Lucy sat up in bed, reading a Harry Potter book. She wasn't really concentrating on it though, she was more concerned about whether Gru and the girls where going to show up and if Dru, Jake and Stan where alright, than Hagrid telling Harry that he was a wizard.
She put down the book and looked at her wrists again, before squeezing her eyes shut as her mind filled with the horrible memories of Strider.