1- The Aaron Project

I woke up to a sun shining through the halfway open curtains and sweet smell and clatter that came from the kitchen. Quickly got up, adjusted a large pink pajama that had little purple cupcakes on it and ran out of my room. 

,,Good morning, sweetheart!'' I heard my mother sing softly. 

,,Morning mommy!'' I said while rushing to hug her. ,,Are you making pancakes?''

,,That's right, Lexy! I'll bring some jar from Emily.'' Our kind neighbor who was more like a grandmother to me. ,,And while that, why don't you comb your hair and wash your teeth, you look like Dr. Emmet Brown from this comedy movie.'' She giggled. 

,,Don't know who that is... But sure mama!'' I added, not wanting to argue back.

Did what she asked and soon again sat behind the kitchen table, mouth full of delicious pancakes. All this time my mother looked at me with a smile on her mouth and eyes full of love.. And maybe something else? No. Her eyes seemed to sparkle, but she seemed happy, and I sure was too. I'm always happy, my mother has given me the most amazing childhood a 6 years old girl can want, so what's there to cry about? Even with her small income, she always found a way to travel with me, or even just spend time with me. Somehow she managed to do it, in between working two full-time jobs. We still didn't have the fanciest place to live in, just a 1 bedroom apartment in Gastonia, North Carolina, but it was always tidy and warm. And I never had to feel an empty stomach. 

,,I'm so full, but can I have more?'' I patted my tummy and made puppy eyes to mother. 

,,Sure darling, there's plenty lef- But why don't you ask Aaron to join? Emily told that she had babysit him yesterday.'' 

,,So Aaron is here?'' I happily stood up.  We lived just below Aarons father, who he often visited, so I was ready to spurt to the next floor of our building. 

But before I could reach the door,  reality hit me. I've only seen him at Emily's few times, and he always had to leave soon after so we haven't even got a chance to talk or play. ,,But mom, what if he doesn't want to?''

,,Eat pancakes?'' Mom chuckled. ,,I doubt, honey!''

,,No mommy!'' I whined. ,,To be my friend!'' 

,,Oh, baby! But you will never find out if you won't even try.'' 

I threw a last smile at mom and left. Knocked on the door with a small plastic number 4 on it and as soon the door opened, I was greeted by a tired looking, bearded guy. 

,, Hey!'' He stood there, at first I think I saw a glimpse of confusion, but things cleared up fast. ,,So you're here for Aaron I think?'' He kindly smiled, and before I could answer he called. ,,Aaron, come here, you have a visitor.''

Young boy appeared in the hallway. He looked a bit older than me and bit taller, but freckles, long black bowl haircut and glasses made him look amicable and less deterring. 

,,Hey.'' I said shyly. ,,My mother told me to invite you to eat pancakes.'' I stuttered. ,, With Emily's wild berry jam.'' With that addition I wanted to make my invitation more appealing, I guess.  

He looked at his father, who gave an approving nod. ,,Let's go then.'' He shyly smiled. 

From that on, we've been best friends. He was now spending a lot more time in his father's, and soon he fully moved in. What I've been told, it's because his mother moved to London due to her new job in the design field, and his parents found it better if he could finish the middle school here. His school was pretty far from mine and his new home, but I insisted to attend the same one. And luckily my mother agreed. Aaron was 3 years older, so he was capable of holding an eye on me, and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why my mother let me go to school further than some others.