First Class

Rachel watched as raindrops trickled down the pane of glass. The left one took a shortcut, veered to the right, and raced to the finish line at the bottom. These were the games of a six-year-old, anxiously awaiting permission to brave the elements.

The temperature spiked overnight. The pristine blanket of snow that fell on Christmas Eve eroded with gloomy showers that spread across the area. When the rain subsided to barely a drizzle and all her presents were opened, Rachel begged to play outside, receiving little resistance.

She imagined herself as a frog, hopping between puddles, toward the safety of the next lily pad in search of prince charming. She found the silver lining in everything. While everyone else saw the showers as a nuisance, the young princess playfully bounced through them. When she came to that coveted spot in the front yard, her cheerful smile transformed into an anxious furrow on her brow.

On the ground, in the same mound she remembered depositing it last night, was the oatmeal. Rachel's Grandma told her Santa's escorts liked it that way. It was easier to graze when it was in a pile. She scooped up the soggy flakes and scampered into the house.

"Mommy!" She screamed with dismay.

"What is it dear? What's wrong?" Her panic subsided when she saw her daughter's hands.

"The reindeer must be sick. They didn't eat anything at all." Rachel held out her hand as pieces slipped through her fingertips and fell to the floor.

"I'm sure they're all right, honey. The neighbors must've put out extra this year. They were probably full when they got to our house."

"How do you know? They always finish ours. We should send them more, just in case."

"Okay, sweetheart. Let's do that."

Grandma also said oatmeal had magic powers that only reindeer could extract. In the right amounts, those oats would give them sustenance to last the entire time between their annual December voyages.

Rachel grabbed the cylindrical box. One quarter cup for each co-pilot. An extra scoop for Cupid because he was Rachel's favorite. They bundled it up and addressed it to the North Pole.

"Hurry mommy, he's here!" She darted outside.

Trotting behind, her mom called out. "Excuse me, we have a package."

The mailman grimaced as the pestering rain dripped from the brim of his cap.

"Reserve oats. For the reindeer." She offered him the wrapped shoe box accompanied by a grin.

Upon inspecting the recipient's address, the postman promptly pulled the stamp from his pocket and branded the parcel with the words First Class. A proud smile appeared on the young girl's face.

The two adults in Rachel's presence smiled too. The drizzling rain caused both to blink. She found it odd they blinked with only one eye, but Rachel was simply overjoyed to help those reindeer when they needed it most.

Little did she know she helped those grown-ups even more.