Leap of Faith

The compacted dirt beneath me serves as a runway for my feet. The pebbles littered along the path obstruct my vision, tiny imperfections aiming to disrupt me. They scratch at the soles of my track shoes as I work to flick them out of the way. I'll not permit anything from interfering with the completion of my goal. It's so much more than a number. 8.95 meters. It is the holy grail for long jumpers and I am poised to engrave my name into those record books with my final effort of this competition.

The wind is at my back. Energized with anticipation, the crowd infuses a healthy dose of adrenaline into my veins. I shake out my calf muscles and clear the mental cobwebs before beginning my approach for takeoff. I envision a jet fighter accelerating as it catapults off the deck of an aircraft carrier. That's how I have always done it before, using vivid imagery to picture impossibility becoming my new reality.

I trot before working up to a sprint. I reach the white demarcation that serves as the threshold between what has been in the past and what will soon be. Planting my left foot, I extend my right one toward the sky at an optimum angle. Not the pristine takeoff I'd been hoping for, but I'm determined. I am certain, this is my moment.

I arrange my limbs in perfect aerodynamic form. A gentle nudge of encouragement arises from the breeze blowing from behind me. Thank you​, I whisper as I approach the spot imprinted in my mind. There is no special mark showing where I need to arrive, I simply know. Reaching my azimuth, I begin a descent back to earth, my short-lived flight now cleared for landing. I extend my toes and fingers out toward the horizon, watching that coveted slice of earth pass beneath me.

With a thud, my shoes sink into the sand. I exhale a victorious breath. The officials stretch the measuring tape, but it's unnecessary. I already know the results. 8.96 meters, a new world record. The crowd erupts upon witnessing my Herculean accomplishment. I've overcome my personal demons and prevailed against all odds to win the gold medal hanging around my neck. The smile on my face couldn't be any prouder, even if in reality, I haven't won a single thing.

#

My supporting cast in the theatrical production joins me on stage as the final act completes. The audience provides a standing ovation for my performance. My eyes lock on those of a young boy seated in a wheelchair at the end of the third row, clapping with an enthusiasm that is more infectious and rewarding than the imitation reproduction hanging around my neck.

It's then I realize that winning a medal may be the ultimate goal for some. For me, inspiring others to reach beyond their personal limits, now that is pure gold.