Chapter 2

When I got home I walked through the front door into the hell hole. I was coming up 19 in the summer, actually it was 6 months exactly to my birthday. 17th August. I sort of forget my birthday nowadays. My foster parents never celebrate if I'm lucky I get a card. Even for my 18th birthday they wouldn't let me have a party. I ha to stay at home. It's funny, only my close friend Eliza knows about this. When I was at collage I was surrounded by the people I loved and I never let my emotions get in my way. However when I returned home I was the shy and reserved person always afraid of speaking. My music gives me a chance to express myself; a chance to show who I really am.

The hell hole seemed quiet. They didn't agree with me doing this gigs but I told them it was my job and they were going to have to like it or lump it. I was hoping for the lump it because then I would actually be able to get rid of them but that wasn't to be. They're still here. My foster parents are called Tim and Natalie, they both work as accountants/bankers, in their late 30s. When you first look at them you think they are going to be a perfectly lovely couple. However I've learnt not to judge a book by its cover. On the inside they're so strict and I hate them. I've been brought up to know that hate is a strong word but you should try living with them. Sometimes I'm locked in my bedroom for hours on end just because I don't say a please or a thank you. They give me constant reminders on how I can become a good and clever person. I got 4A* and 9As and 1B in my GCSE's and then 3As and a B at A level but still that is not good enough. They look down their noses at me in disgrace because they believe I didn't take 'proper' subjects and that what I'm doing now is a sin.

I walk up the stairs carefully trying not to make them creak. I hear soft snores from their bedroom. Mums bedroom. When mum died the condition that I told my social worker was that I wanted to remain living in my house. They granted that permission and they other 4 foster parents I had were to respect my wishes and they slept in the other master bedroom and my mums remained untouched. Until Tim and Natalie came along. They basically told me to stop being a brat and they changed the house completely with most of mums stuff going into storage.

I walked into my bedroom and shut the door blocking out everyone. My bedroom overlooked the forest and in the distance you could see the little cemetery were mum was. I continued to stare out of the windows staring into the darkness until it got too cold. I shut my window but left my curtains open like I did every night. I lay on my bed, Gertrude was propped up in the corner of the bedroom covering a little door. It was the door that led into next doors house. When the houses down my road were built they were one large house however of the years they were split into 2 medium sized houses however in ours they left the door that connected the two bedrooms. When I was younger I used to have so much fun with our neighbours. They still live their now however I don't speak to them as much they always seem to be on the go now but I think of the lady of the house to be more like a mum than anything else nowadays. When I was younger that door used to be the centre if my childhood my mum and my neighbours would always tell us if for running into each others houses but it was brilliant. I missed those days me and the three if them 3 girls vs a boy. I missed that boy. At one stage he was my best friend and boyfriend however things changed between us. I text him occasionally but not like we used to.

I stare at the piece of white paper that's folded up in my desk. The paper that seals my deal with the record label SYCO. I look at the door again. I should tell him. He would be so proud of me. He used to be my singing partner. I was always nervous to perform in front of people by myself so summer and christmas concerts at school even gigs in pubs he would always sit beside me singing. However he had more confidence, things changed quicker for him that me. I unlock my phone and start to scroll through my phonebook.

Liam Payne.

Hey Liam how are you doing. Heard that you've started to attract American fans, lucky you! Well done on the second tour. I think your mum said she was going to drag me along however you may be seeing more of me now that I've signed that white contract with SYCO. perhaps one day I might be playing at the O2 also!

Elie

X

I clicked on send.

Your message has been sent.

I lay back down on my bed and shut my eyes. Tomorrow is the start of my future.