Chapter 1

THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING: This book contains strong language, violence, suicidal thoughts/actions, and sexual scenes, as well as descriptions of panic attacks, mental breakdowns, and depression.

Roman's POV

"Come on, Virgil. I believe in you. You can do this. Just breathe."

His panic attacks had become more and more frequent. Each time, it became harder for me to calm him down. Even with the help of Patton or Logan, it was growing difficult.

"In for four. Hold for seven. Out for eight."

He shook his head against my chest as I rubbed circles into his back.

"You're going to be okay." I wasn't sure who I was trying to make feel better—him or myself.

Ten—or maybe it was fifteen—minutes later, his breathing clammed from shuddered gasps to low breaths. When I began to back away, he grabbed onto me, a few more tears thoroughly soaking my already wet shirt.

"What's wrong with me?" Vigil whispered.

I stopped. Slowly, I rested my hands on his shoulders and pushed him away. My lips barely touched his as I kissed him gently. "There is nothing wrong with you. You've been super stressed lately, and there's no point in blaming yourself for something you can't control." I kissed him again.

He looked up at me, and I saw the same look I always saw after his panic attacks: pain. It wasn't physical as far as I knew. He was just hurting so much on the inside. "Why does this keep happening to me?"

"Don't worry about it." I kissed his forehead, his nose, his lips, his jaw. Before I could venture lower—before I could see him squirm and giggle as he tried to push me away—someone knocked on the door to my room. I sighed. "Come in."

Logan opened the door. "Patton wants to watch a movie and asked me to invite the two of you."

"What are we watching?" I asked.

"Lady and the Tramp."

I looked to Virgil to see if he wanted to, and he nodded. "We'll be there," I told Logan.

The Logical Side left.

I asked Virge, "Are you feeling any better?"

He gave a small nod.

"If you aren't, we don't have to watch the movie. We can just stay in here and cuddle."

He smiled sweetly. "No, really, I'm fine." He kissed me, and I rested my hand on the back of his neck.

"Come on, lovebirds!" Patton called from the living room. "We're starting the movie!"

Virgil shook his head with a small chuckle. "So impatient."

Virgil's POV

"Why must I always be the responsible one?" Logan asked as he picked up the popcorn bowls after the movie had ended.

I smirked. "Princey once stuck his hand in the toaster while it was still on because he wanted his toast right that second."

Roman gasped. "Well, Virgil once ate ice cream with a knife because he didn't want to acknowledge that it was his turn to do the dishes."

I glared at him, though I couldn't hide the grin on my lips.

Patton raised his hand. "One time, I almost crashed Thomas's car because I saw a dog on the other side of the road."

I shook my head, stepping over to the father-figure. "That's not something to brag about," I told him.

Logan said, "I will never question it again."

Roman pulled me aside. In a hushed tone, he said, "I can't believe you. I trusted you with that secret!"

I laughed and pecked his cheek.

He screamed, aggressively wiping away the kiss. "Patton, he kissed me!"

Patt chuckled. "You say that like you aren't used to it."

Roman hugged me, but, before I could hug him back, he did something unthinkable—unforgivable. He tickled me.

"Roman!" I cried through my laughter. I collapsed as he tickled my stomach. "Patton, Logan, help!"

"Do you hear something?" Patton asked. "I don't hear anything." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Patt grab Logan's hand, and the two made their way down the hallway.

"How dare you betray me!" I called, still laughing.

"Do you love me?" Roman asked as he tickled me more.

"No!" My chest began to hurt from laughing so much, and tears formed in the corner of my eyes.

"Falsehood!" Logan yelled before one of the bedroom doors closed.

"Okay, yes, I love you!"

Finally, he stopped, and I fell limp on the floor, breathing heavily. Princey smiled down at me, clearly proud of what he'd accomplished. He gave me a kiss."

I grabbed onto his neck, and he pulled me into a sitting position. Before scooting away, I whispered in his ear, "You won't know when, and you won't know how, but, one day, I'll get my revenge." I gave him one last kiss before standing up.

Roman charged after me down the hallway, yelling at me for the threat. I laughed and sought refuge in my room. He followed, closing the door behind himself. "Do you remember what happened last time you threatened me?"

My cheeks flushed, and my heart skipped a beat. How could I forget?

"Or, do I need to remind you?" He smiled.

I stepped forward, grinning, and rested my hands on his chest. I kissed his lips and barely pulled away before saying, "I think you might just have to."