Chapter 3

Roman's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about my dream—about seeing Virgil falling and being completely useless in helping him.

I put my head down on my desk, my tears dripping onto the wood.

I'm useless. I couldn't save him. I couldn't save him in a fucking dream where I control everything!

Someone rubbed my shoulder, but I didn't move. "You're okay. Everything is going to be okay, I promise."

Virgil, I couldn't save you...

He picked up my head and turned me to face him. I hid my face in my hands and rested my elbows on my knees, sobbing silently. Virge pulled my hands away from my face. A few tears slid over my cheeks, and he kissed them away, making his way to my lips.

I pulled away, muttering, "I couldn't fucking save you."

He touched my cheeks, brushing away a few more tears. "Honey, I don't know what you mean. I'm fine, see?"

"No, no, you don't understand. I—"

He kissed my lips to shut me up.

Virgil's POV

Roman and I kissed for a minute before I felt him finally relax a bit. I pulled away and looked into his eyes. "Do you wanna tell me what's going on now?"

He leaned down, pressing his lips against mine once more before shaking his head. "It—it's stupid. It was just some dream that I couldn't shake."

I smiled softly and asked once again, just in case, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, mimicking my expression. But, tears welled in his eyes again, and he broke down. His head fell onto my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Virge," he sobbed.

I didn't know what to do. I dug my nails into my palms, trying to think of something that would calm Roman down, but I couldn't even calm myself down. I stood up, and Princey clung to me, mumbling apologies. I rubbed circles into his back. With a small smile and a little chuckle, I said, "You're gonna give Thomas a headache if you keep crying like this."

He sniffled in response. It took a while, but his breathing slowed and his body stilled. He'd fallen asleep.

I leaned back enough to smile at him. I wasn't very strong, but I managed to ease him out of the chair and into bed. I tucked Princey in with a warm blanket and kissed his forehead. His lips tilted upward in an unconscious smile.

As I left, my expression dropped. I went back to my room and sat on my bed. You're hurting him. Who else would have made him lose his shit like that? I was fully capable of breaking up with him. It was just a matter of convincing myself to do it. I laid down and stared at the ceiling, hoping that I could sleep and not have to think about anything anymore.

I stayed awake, unfortunately.

I heard Roman's door open at some point, but he didn't come to check on me, only solidifying my theory.

Too much time passed before I convinced myself to stand. I walked into the common area to see Patton and Logan cuddling on the couch, debating over something I didn't care enough to listen to. I could barely keep my own thoughts in order as I walked up to Roman, who was in the kitchen. I tapped him on the shoulder.

He turned and smiled at me.

I almost back down with just that look—a look of pure joy. I didn't want to ruin it. "Can I talk to you, Ro?"

He nodded and took my hand, and I didn't have it in me to pull away from him as he led me toward his room. He sat on the bed and patted the spot next to him. I shook my head, and he saw how serious I was. His smile slipped from his lips. "What's wrong, Virge?"

"I can't," I whispered, knowing I was hurting him by doing this, but I was hurting him more by being with him.

He pushed himself off the bed and hugged me.

I pressed against his chest and stared down, unable to look into his eyes. "Princey, we can't do this anymore."

"What do you—what do you mean?"

"We can't do thisus. We're—we're not good for each other. Can't you see that?" I wiped away a few tears, but they kept coming.

Roman's POV

It's just like my dream, I thought, when Virgil broke up with me. Oh, God, that's what he's doing now. My eyes grew wide. I was too shocked to cry or even reach. I just stared at him.

Virgil's head was down, and he refused to make eye contact. He hugged himself, rubbing his biceps—at least, that's what I thought until I noticed the nail marks he was working into his skin.

I let out a choked sound that somewhat resembled his name as my own tears finally began to fall.

He looked up, our eyes locking, and he shook his head. "No, no, no, no..." He repeated that word over and over again. He brought his hands up to the sides of his head, slowly dragging his nails from his temples to his neck.

Then, he was gone.

It took me a minute to realize what had happened before I dashed after him. His door was locked, but I couldn't bring myself to knock. There was only one thing going through my head as I tore myself from the door and walked slowly back to my room: my dream was real.