Prólogo | Prologue

Prólogo | Prologue

"¿Cómo se ve esto?" I ask swaying the vintage circle skirt against my waist.

        "Necessito que vayas, novia," Mia said with one hand holding her chin, and the other giving the movement of a spin. I end up spinning around several times, letting the skirt flare out and form an airy bubble. Posing with my hands in the air.

        "I don't know exactly what you just said, but it looks good to me," Kaylee chuckled while placing a tan fedora on her head.

        "Only good?" I question, with a fake a sob as a joke.

        "It looks beautiful on you, honey" Hunt smiles.

        "Gracias," I smile back.

        "De nada," Hunt said tossing a white scarf with frilled edges at me. He has been learning Spanish so I can't keep anything from him, he still has a lot to work on. I place the scarf over my head, letting it land on my shoulders. While staring at my reflection in the mirror, I began to hear a strange sound coming from the corner of the store. A sound like a murmuring song. I turn to inspect, and noticed it was coming from my purse.

        "Shit," I exclaimed, pacing towards it. I unzip my purse and rummage through. When I finally spot my phone in the inside pocket, I pick it up. The music blares louder now as it's exposed to check the caller I.D.

        Papi.

        I scan around the store to notice that all of my friends were staring back at me. While sliding the answer icon on the phone, I mouthed "It's just Papi," (a.k.a. my dad). They replied by making their mouths in the shape of an 'o' before continuing with shopping.

        "Hello?" I ask.

        "Hola, Tesorito. Where are you?" Papi asked.

        "I'm at Painted Bird with Mia, Kaylee, and Hunt," I say in a slightly annoyed voice. Now, even though I was at the best vintage store in the Bay area, and it was my favorite place to hang out, I was kind of thrown off guard at my father calling me, interrupting my happiness. He never checks in on me any other time, why start now?

        "Okay, Tesorito. I need to have a talk with you , it's urgent. I need to pick you up, so what is the address?" Papi asks hastily. Wonderful.

        "But Papi," I say behind clenched teeth, as I lean against the white wall on the far end of the store. "Mis amigos y yo estamos comprando. I'm sure it can wait."

        "Urgent, Kinani," he repeated. "Where are you?" I groaned, and then spat the address into the phone. before hanging up the phone and storming back over to my friends.

        "Papi always messes shit up," I vent. "I gotta leave soon, he's on his way." My friends exchange a look, before facing me again.

        "Kinani, you are loco," Kaylee says with a smile.

        "And my dad's annoying, your point is?"

I wait with a headache from Papi, waiting for him to arrive. I wish he hadn't because what he told me next was excruciating.