Chapter 3

At the Game

It was a crisp autumn evening, and the energy at the football field was electric. Three minutes remained until halftime, and our team, the Mustangs, led the Titans 15-1. The Titans were formidable, but everyone knew the real challenge awaited in the championships against the Hawks, our perennial rivals, to determine the season's best team.

As cheerleaders, we were not just spectators but active participants in the game's atmosphere. We were already warming up for our halftime performance, a routine that had clinched us first place at nationals. The anticipation was palpable as we dashed to our positions when the familiar beats of "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas filled the air. Every move was synchronized, every jump and tumble executed with precision, as we showcased our athleticism and spirit to the roaring crowd.

After our performance, the attention shifted to the crowning of the homecoming King and Queen. The pairs, including Jason and me, Connor and Nicole, Jake and Sam, and Ryan and Alexis, lined up eagerly. The announcer's voice boomed across the field as they declared Jason and me as the winners. With crowns placed on our heads and roses handed to us, we posed for the yearbook photo, feeling the thrill of this honor.

Following the ceremony, we cheerleaders hurried backstage to change back into our uniforms, while the younger cheerleaders joined us for a celebratory dance. The game ended triumphantly with a final score of 47-2 in our favor. Ecstatic, we joined Connor, Jason, and Jason's friend Hunter, who had been cheering us on from the stands.

"You guys killed it out there, congratulations!" I exclaimed, feeling proud of our team's victory.

"Thanks, your halftime routine was incredible," Jason, Connor, and Hunter chimed in, their admiration genuine.

As the girls headed to our lockers to gather our belongings, the boys began shedding their sweaty uniforms and pads. After grabbing what we needed, we made our way to my brother's trucks to wait for him and Connor. It wasn't long before they arrived, Hunter in tow.

"I got a ride with my parents, and Jason mentioned you're heading out to eat before the party. Mind if I join?" Hunter asked eagerly.

"Of course, the more, the merrier!" I replied with a smile, as we all piled into Jason's truck. Sam sat in the front with Jason, while Hunter squeezed in behind him. Alexis took the middle seat, flanked by Nicole and Connor, who sat on either side of her. I found myself sitting between Hunter's legs, feeling a sense of camaraderie and excitement among friends.

The ride was lively, with everyone singing along to "We Get Turnt Up" by Team Twin. We pulled into In-N-Out Burger, a favorite haunt, where we placed our orders. The girls opted for bacon cheeseburgers with large fries and cherry cokes, while the guys went for double bacon cheeseburgers with Pepsi. Seated together at a table, we laughed and reminisced about the game and upcoming party.

Just as our food arrived, a group of people entered the restaurant, causing us all to turn and look. Suddenly, an unpleasant odor filled the air, prompting Jason and me to mentally alert our dads about possible rogues on pack territory, while Connor did the same with his dad.

The guys rose to address the situation, instructing us to stay put. Being an alpha's daughter, I couldn't resist following them. Jason confronted the intruders, asking why they were on our territory without permission or causing trouble.

"We're hungry and need to talk to your alpha," one of the rogues replied defiantly.

"He's on his way. You can talk to him then," Connor interjected calmly.

Just then, the door swung open, and in walked my dad, Connor's dad, and Hunter's dad, the third in command.

"They want to talk to you, Dad," Jason informed my father.