A grief

Avni squeezed her eyes tightly before opening them. She blinked it several times to focus her vision. The room was dark except the dim light of the overhead lamp. Avni's stomach made weird rumbles, and she realized how hungry she was. She turned around to check the time, and gasped. It was 11 in the morning. Her sleep cycle is all over the place as she hasnt been able to sleep at night. Last night was one of them, she had really troubled Neil along with it. Avni slowly got up, carefully balancing her dizzy body. With a lot of effort she managed to brush her teeth, but ended up getting sick. The mint flavor of it makes her hell nauseous. She sat there for a while and then took a shower. Slipped into a long sleeved tshirt and a pair of sweatpants.

"Avni! I was coming to you." Bebe was about to climb up the stairs with a tray of food, when Avni came down. "Bebe.. why would you come up, shouldnt climb up the stairs often. I told you I'll come down right.." Avni took the tray from her and walked to the dining table, holding on to Bebe's hand. "Arrey..I am not the one who is sick. You are! And I have to take care of you." Bebe sat down, placing out all her complaints. "I'm fine, Bebe. I will take rest, promise!" Avni squeezed Bebe's hand and dug into her food. Bebe just sat there, watching her eat. "Are you comfortable with Juhi around, and Neil attending all of her sessions?" Avni's eyes darted to Bebe. "Neil didnt go to office?" Her mind flooded with questions: "yeah, Neil went with Juhi." Bebe too was confused now. "He—didnt even tell me." Avni's answer this time was enough for Bebe, to comprehend how she felt about this whole Juhi situation. She was also concerned with Shweta's behavior. "Shweta!" Bebe called out. "Yes, Bebe?" She answered, coming out of the kitchen. "Bring some juice for Avni. I have kept them in the fridge." She instructed Shweta. Avni saw her face going dull, and quickly insisted. "No— I mean its okay. I'm in no mood." "I think you have to do these little things on your own. If lying around all day, it would make you difficult to move around when you gain more weight. Plus pregnancy nausea wouldnt get better by staying in bed." Shweta's words took Avni by surprise. She wasnt staying in bed because she wanted to. And neither was she intentionally throwing up all the food she eat. "Shw—." "Mom?" Neil's voice broke Bebe's sentence. He stood at the entrance of the dinning area with Juhi. He walked in, "Avni isn't staying in bed because she's lazy.. Have you seen how tough every night is for her?.." Avni could clearly say Neil was hurt. She got up from her seat and moved closer to him. "Neil.. no.." she tried to stop him. "Let me." Neil cut her in. "Noo. Please.." Avni begged him. "Come with me.." she took Neil's hand and took him upstairs.
"What were you doing?.." Avni closed the door behind her and said to Neil. "What is Mom doing?! I mean what on earth has gotten into her?! I never knew she liked Juhi that much when we were together. And more of that, I thought she liked you!" Neil breathed out all of his frustration. "Neil.. sit here." Avni dragged him and seated on the bed. "People take things differently. After Juhi's return, you still decided to be with me. Its not necessary for everyone to have the same decision—." "So you mean to say, if Mom is insisting then I should get married to Juhi?" Neil was more frustrated. "Tsk, no. I'm just asking you to give her some time. And Juhi will be leaving sooner or later, right?" Avni caressed on Neil's face. He let out a sigh, "I dont know how you take things so calmly.." he held onto her hand. "Haha. Because I have a husband who loses his cool oh so easily." Neil laughed along with him and mumbled an apology.

Days passed with the same cold attitude of Shweta towards Avni. Avni in turn had forbidden everyone to say anything against Shweta. She have been trying to start up conversations for the past two months, to which Shweta wouldnt even respond. On the other hand, Avni was feeling as if Juhi was an accomplice to this attitude of her mother-in-law. Thus, she decided to have a sharp eye on Juhi. But the plan had to be sidelined a bit, as Neil surprised her by returning her litigation license by the bar council! She had immediately received some cases and started working on them. So lesser time was spent at home, with lesser drama of Shweta and Juhi.

"How so early today?" Neil asked Avni, as she entered to their room. He was working from home for the day, and didnt expect to see Avni for another three hours as she was having s busy schedule. Avni sighed and thumped onto bed. "I'm having a bad back pain since morning. And now its like it has spread over to my both legs even.." Avni explained. Neil got up from his seat and walked to her. "Is it bad?" He asked rubbing his hand on the small of her back. "Not so bad. I'll take a shower and come. Too hungry.." Avni made a face which made Neil laugh out loud.
"Anything interesting going on?" Neil asked as Avni dug into the closet in search of her clothes. "Ruth and I am planning to include Banking & Finance as an area of our practice. So doing the researches for now." Avni highlighted. "Banking sounds boring.." Neil commented, taking back his seat on the couch. "Criminal is the most boring, trust me!" "Really? Doesnt seem so, still trying to seduce a police officer." He teased. "I am seducing? Or rather the officer is head over heels of me?" Neil responded with a smirk and a shrug! Avni wanted to squish his cheeks for teasing her. "Neil, I swear—." Avni tried walking to the couch, but suddenly felt a sharp pain on her abdomen. Her breath hitched and she tightly placed a hand over her abdomen. "Avni! What happened?" Neil rushed to her side. "I just—." She was cut again as she felt something else. Avni gasped out loudly. "Avni!" Neil wrapped his arms around her and tried to straighten her body. Avni winced in pain and tried to take deep breaths. "Let—let me use the restroom." She said, but Neil didnt let go off her. "Neil I'll be fine.. please." She asked again. Neil nodded and walked her to the bathroom. "Donot lock the door." He said quickly. Avni gave a nod and closed the door. Within few seconds, Neil heard something fall onto the ground and Avni's voice simultaneously. "Neil..! Can you please get Bebe?" Avni cried from inside. "What happened?!" Neil tried to open the door but Avni pushed it from inside, not letting him in. "Please get her! Neil please! Fast!!" The tone of her voice scared him to death. "Y—yeah!" Neil rushed to downstairs. Inside the bathroom, Avni stood like a statue. Not understanding what was going on.