Chapter 9

As the time passed, we did our best to come up with a plan, but it was hard under the pressure of knowing if we mess up, we die. We decided to keep it simple, because making it complicated would be to troublesome, and there would be more to go wrong. If it's simple, that means it's more flexible.

Cassandra, being an actual punnyig, would be in charge of the ball, so if a quick getaway from the team was needed she could dig away.

My job is to stay with Cassandra and help her out when needed, like distracting the other team or protecting the ball so she can retrieve it. I'm going to use my ability to only transform my ears, as I found out I could do, and help listen to what is going on, warning Cassandra if needed.

Mirgandor's job is to guard the basket. He will find the best place to put it, and make sure the Mushrooms can't get to it. He can also use illusions to protect it; after all, the rules say nothing about them, and if they aren't said, they must be allowed.

My spot with Cassandra isn't only to protect it. Being near her, she can judge the best moment to unleash our surprise. When the moment happens, I need to be ready.

With so few members on our team, each role is critical. One slip, one mistake, and I will never get to explore this new world and all its' wonders.

As Cassandra paces in front of the door and Mirgandor leans patiently against the wall next to the door, I sit against the wall across from them, also waiting.

As I wait, I practice transforming my ears. It feels so weird when I transform them, I can feel my ears growing and shrinker, changing shape and growing fur.

As I do this, I think about the upcoming game. So much depends on us winning. If anything goes wrong, we can die. And not just us, the entire world of Cetis is at stake.

Death... If I die, at least I can see my parents again. Mom, so kind and funny. Dad, so dependable and stubborn. But what about my brother?

A flood of memory came back to me. I remember the day when I became homeless, when I thought he had killed...

I took a deep breath. He didn't kill anyone.

I also remember all of the good times we had together. I remember when I was starting kindergarten, and I was really nervous and didn't want to go to school.

He somehow persuaded me to get on the bus with him, and as we drove to school he explained all I needed to know.

He told me the best way to get friends, the best books for my age in the library, where to find those books, and he even shared with me a little secret. "Whenever you are at lunch," he whispered,"they tell you not to trade food. However, if you do, trade the food under the table, not over it. Then, eat the food as quickly as you can so there is no evidence remaining."

I smiled at that memory. He didn't tell me not to since it was against the rules, he told me how to. As I thought of more memories, my smile faded, and tears started to replace it. I can never experience memories like that again.

Even if I could find my brother, he hates my guts now. I closed my eyes, trying to hold back the flow of tears. In an attempt to forget, I thought of how my family should be.

Right now, we'd be in our old home. Our house wasn't in the country, but it wasn't in the city either. Mom would have a garden outside filled with vegetables, and even strawberries. The food grown by my mom always tasted better than store bought groceries.

Whenever something was ready to be picked, we'd go out as a family and compete to see who could collect the most. Whenever the okra was ripe, I remember we would use half of it that night and use an old recipe to make okra patties.