Chapter 11: Hotel Awkward (EDITED)

Becca and I slowly made our way up the icy stairs to the apartment. I felt sweat beading on my forehead. I pushed myself too much today. Yet I didn't regret it. Today had been strangely liberating so far.

Slowing my ascent I watched Becca fumble with the keys to the apartment. After nearly dropping them she finally had a grip and unlocked the door. Pushing it open she walked in and I walked up.

Suddenly as I was crossing the threshold I heard Becca scream. Throwing my body inside I witnessed what made her panic. There, in the middle of our apartment stood a burgler. They were small, wearing black pants, a baggy black hoodie, and a carnival mask. As soon as they were seen they were running out the window which they had clearly broken due to the glass scattered on the ground.

I did what was probably the dumbest thing I could do: I chased after them. Adrenaline filled my veins, allowing me to move quickly. Lunging forward just as the culprit was slipping out the window onto the tree branch just below, I caught their arm and pulled hard, slamming their head against the window frame, also giving me a glimpse of some skin by their neck. They quickly pulled themself out of my grip and slid with perfect balance onto the swaying branch. I watched as they maneuvered swiftly off the tree and took off.

"What...What...What just happened?" Becca asked, hyperventilating.

I was surprisingly clear-headed for a moment. "Becca! Take a breath. I'm calling the police." I roughly told her.

Pulling out my phone and dialing 911 I watched her carefully. She was still panicking but at least she was breathing.

"911, what is your emergency?" A lady asked me through the phone.

I went to answer when Becca screamed again, staring at the wall. I turned and gaped at the sight. Written on our wall in red spray paint were the words: "next time you won't walk away". On the floor something caught my eye. Looking closer I saw it was a large-caliber bullet with an "A" spray painted on it.

I dropped my phone, not aware of my actions. It was all too much for me to process. I faintly heard Becca's voice as if from a distance and black spots were spreading across my vision. Finally I lost all of my senses and fell into blackness.

...............

"Miss! Miss, wake up!"

My eyes flew open to see a strange man kneeling above me. I looked around, confused. What happened? Seeing the red on the wall it all suddenly came flooding back and I gasped. I tried to sit up but the man pushed me back down.

"Miss, I have to ask you to stay put until I make sure you're alright," Looking at him closer I saw he was a paramedic. "Does anything hurt?" His eyes bore into mine.

"Yeah, everything." I groaned at the realization that my muscles were complaining with soreness. He looked at me in concern for a moment before I realized I should be more serious. "No, sorry, I was joking. The burgler didn't hurt me at all. I'm just sore."

He nodded at me and told me he had to do a routine check anyway, just to be sure. I agreed and lay as he asked me questions and made sure I wasn't injured. When he was finishing up I looked around the apartment and saw a lot of police. Right in the middle of it all were the two detectives I had spoken to just after my attack. I couldn't quite recall their names though. Looking across the room I saw Becca speaking with an officer. She looked okay and I sighed in relief. With everything going on, I could really use not having to worry too much about her well-being.

"All done. You were right; you seem to be fine." The paramedic smiled at me and helped me stand up. I groaned in protest; my muscles were on fire. He walked me over to the couch. Once I sat down he called the detectives over.