01

"Where have you been?!" Alanis screeched.
"Out." I replied curtly. I never spoke to my mother unless it was on matters regarding the kingdom .

My mother had been the queen ever since my father died and I was the only living heir to the throne. Aurelia, they liked to call me although I preferred  just Lea. My mother was the queen of Certa and I, it's heir.

"Is that mud on your shoes? Heavens were you out riding again? How many times have I told you that it's unladylike to do these horrendous things." She said the word like it was filthy and that she would be damned for even saying it.

"I'm sorry, mama." I sighed, defeated. A soft knock was heard and a maid walked in and bowed to us before telling me that it was time for me to get ready for the ball that my mother was hosting tonight, careful to keep her eyes lowered in respect.

"You better get going Aurelia, we don't want to look shabby tonight do we?", my mother addressed me coldly.

  "No mama."

                 ○●○●○●○●

It was time for the ball and I felt miserable. I had scraped my knee while riding and every time the silk of my dress brushed against the wound, it stung like a bag of salt stings fresh cuts.

My dress, as my mother had insisted, had to be made of the finest silk in the kingdom and had to be in a deep blue colour. I saw through her act. She wanted me to dress exquisitely so that she could show me off like a dog on a leash.

   Shaking my head to get rid of the thoughts, I placed my silver crown on my head and slipped into my shoes. My feet were already hurting. Just great.

  As I  finished getting dressed earlier than anticipated, I went one of the rooms and patiently waited for my mother to arrive. She came in, not a second late, dressed in a golden dress that made her eyes shine. Even though I hated her, it was hard to ignore the fact that she really was gorgeous.

  She greeted me with a nod and  she descended down the stairs to meet the waiting guests who wanted nothing but the throne with a sickly sweet smile that seemed to say, game on.