02

The ball was decorated with such grandeur that it seemed almost surreal. Huge chandeliers hung from iron hoops dug into the wall and curtains of crimson were draped over the windows.

I put on a facade as I made my way around the ballroom, politely greeting strangers with a smile. Some stopped me to make conversation but it was almost all about how we were coping after dad or how the kingdom was doing. I was not interested in giving out information on either of the two topics so I kept excusing myself. In the distance I saw my mother talk to the King of Úró. A powerful man he was. Legend had it that his son was a just, but merciless prince, feared by all. Raven Avitus. Even his name sent chills down other Kings spines. With just Raven this powerful, his father was as good as indestructible.

I grabbed myself another glass of wine when my mother glided towards me, followed closely by none other than King Avitus.

"Your betrothal has been finalised, Aurelia. You're going to be the wife of Raven Avitus, Prince of Úró."

●○●○●○

No. This can't be happening. I kept chanting in my head. I despised him with even bone in my body because of what he did to my father.

"...and because of that we think that you should get married to him within a months time.", my mother ended. "What?!" No no no I won't be able to spend my life with the demon who killed my father.

The night ended as soon as it had begun. As soon as the guests had gone I marched up to my mother's room. She was sitting and sipping tea from a dainty tea cup, staring out of her window, like she hadn't just pushed me off to marry a monster.

"What are you thinking mother?!", I demanded. "I can remind you that he killed my father as it looks like you have trouble remembering!"

"Don't be so selfish Aurelia, think about the people of the kingdom. He will prove to be a powerful ally and you will be safe there.", she said without even sparing me a glance.

Tears of frustration rolled down my cheeks and I cursed myself for crying and giving her that satisfaction. I stormed out of the room and I went to sleep crying tears of defeat till the pillow was soaked and my eyelids, heavy.