Chapter 2

I look around at the stuck-up, rich college kids that surround me on this boat. Almost everyone has a beer in their hand, even though I am pretty sure we are all underage. For some reason they are all excited about this whole summer vacation thing. I use it as an excuse to lay in bed all day, but since I am here I may as well act like a normal college student.

I walk over to the ice chest and grab myself a BudLight. I snap off the cap and take a sip, reminding me of the wild high school parties I used to go to, where everyone drank to the point of almost passing out, including me. I actually love to party, even though I might not seem like that kind of person.

This damn boat is overcrowded and I feel claustrophobic, surrounded by people who are completely wasted. I set down my beer and waste about thrity minutes looking for Char, who is like fucking Waldo right now.

I walk over to my original seat and pick up my bag, ready to leave whether Char likes it or not. I get off the boat and reach the end of the docks, finding myself not really wanting to go home right away. My attention goes to the beach and I decide that while I am here I might as well relax and get some sun.

I walk to a spot near the water and lay down my towel. I take my shirt off to reveal my bathing suit as I rest on my towel, finally feeling relaxed. I feel my skin either burning or tanning as I look down at my almost flat stomach. This is why I stopped drinking, because it literally makes you gain pounds by the sip.

"Excuse me" A voice snaps me from my daydreams about flat stomachs and beer. I look up at the source and see a tall guy with wavy short brown hair and tan skin.

"Ya?" I say sounding slightly annoyed.

"You are kind of sitting on my shirt" He looks down at me and smiles, showing off a pair of dimples and an australian accent I hadn't noticed before. I look under my towel and see a gray tye-dye shirt. I lift it up from underneath me and feel my cheeks get hot from embarassement.

"Sorry" I say quietly as I hand it to him.

"Oh that's ok." He says as he starts putting the shirt on. I look away but I can feel his gaze on me while I lie down again.

"You know what, I was actually going to lie my towel here." He tells me taking off the shirt he was just about to put on. He kneels down and puts his towel almost right on mine.

"If I am in your spot I can move" I state looking into his bright hazel eyes.

"No, no, you are completely fine" He smiles again, this time his eyes hold the same cheery expression.

"Ok then" I can't help but smile and silently laugh at him.

I lay out my arms and legs, trying to tan my somewhat pale body. Out of the corner of my eye I catch him staring at me.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, slightly interested in the new stranger.

"Yup, just fine" He continues to hold his flashy smile as he looks up at the sky.

"What's your name?" He asks me.

"Kayla, how 'bout you?"

"Ashton" He tells me, turning his head away from the sky and staring directly into my eyes. His smile is contageous and I can't help but reciprocate the same goofy expression back to him.

I close my eyes trying to get back to my attempt at a tanning session for what seems like the tenth time. After about two minutes I hear shuffling next to me and I open one eye and look over at the strange boy next to me.

He sits up and sighs while looking down at me.

"I don't understand how you can just lie here in the sun and not want to get up and go do something" Ashton tells me staring into the water.

"Well not everyone is as tan as you, we pale people have to work for it" I say and he smiles.

"You wanna go get tan with me in the water?" He nods at the ocean and looks at me with raised eyebrows

"Um..." I don't really know him, and I really don't feel like getting wet right now. Then again I really need to learn to let loose and stop overthinking things.

"Please I'll look like a loser going in the water alone" He laughs and I study him. He definitely isn't ugly and I suppose I could use a little fun.

"Sure" I smile and sit up on my towel.

He stands up and grabs my wrist to pull me up. Once I'm up he doesn't hesitate to run to the shoreline, still ahold of my wrist and tugging me along behind him. My toes touch the water and its the perfect temperature.

"Oh my god that feels so nice" I say while walking further in.

He chuckles and dips his head underwater. When he comes back up, he almost looks angelic the way he shakes his head and his hair moves side to side on his face. He looks at me then goes back down in the water again. He stays under and I start to wonder what he is doing. Suddenly, I feel a tug at my legs and I am dragged under the waves. A panicked feeling takes over and I climb to the surface. I come up and Ashton sounds like he can't breath because he is laughing so much.

"You should see the look on your face right now" He says in between gasps. His laugh is definitely unique, and I find myself enjoying the sound of it.

"You can go to hell" I laugh along with him and splash him with the water.

He splashes me back and I scream a little and jump.

"Oh it's on" I tell him and splash him back even harder than before.

"Don't make me drag you under again" He says while waddling over to me and picking me up out of the water.

"Ashton put me down!" I scream while kicking my legs in the air and laughing the most I think I ever had in my life.

"OK" He says and drops me into the water. When I come up I continue to splash him and we have a little war until the sun gets low in the sky.

"Let's go watch the sunset" He says and I splash him one more time before walking to the edge of the water. We head back to where our towels are and sit down and watch the beautiful California sunset.

The sun reflects onto the water, making the ocean hold a purple color. It is probably the prettiest sunset I've seen in my life. I look over at Ashton, who is staring into the water, and I know he is probably thinking the same thing. The sun slowly goes down and more stars start to appear in the sky, forming constallations of all kind. I sit back and lean against my hands with my legs sprawled out in front of me. As I stare into the sky I find myself feeling more peaceful and calm than ever.