Tree

We had been in Alexandria for a day now. Carl just got done hanging out with the kids our age here. I was invited too, but I politely declined and decided to stay at the house and help with Judith.

I sat on the porch of one of the houses that was provided for us. The whole group was staying in one house even though we were given two. We wanted to stick together until we knew for sure that this place was safe.

I rocked back and forth with Judith resting her tired head on my chest. I felt cold wind blow through my hair, and wrapped my bomber jacket around little Judy, not wanting her to get cold.

My peace and quiet was interrupted by Carl walking up the steps on the porch and say hello to me. "Hey, y/n," He said, sounding like he was in a rather good mood. It was different. He wasn't in a good mood much anymore. I smiled at his foreign happiness.

"Sup Grimes," I smirked. Carl rolled his eyes and chuckled at my greeting. Judith turned her head to look at Carl and reached out for him. "La!" She called out to him. I started laughing at what she called Carl. Carl joined in on my laughter, seen as that was Judy's first attempt at saying Carl's name.

He said, "Close enough." Carl walked over and took her from my arms. She wrapped her petite little arms around Carl's neck and cooed. "Hey Judy!" Carl said in a higher voice. I grinned at them. They were so adorable together. I loved watching Carl take care of Judith like she was his own. He was definitely the best big brother ever.

Carl noticed me staring and stopped gushing over Judith. "Why are you staring?" He questioned, an adorable confused expression on his face.

I chuckled and gave him a small smile. "I just love watching you with Judith," I admitted. "You guys are too cute when you're together." Carl smirked at my last sentence.

"I'm cuter though, right?" He joked. I laughed and playfully rolled my eyes at him.

After a little more of our humorous banter, we walked inside. By then it was time for little Judy to take a nap. I wanted to stay inside and nap myself, but Carl tried convincing me otherwise. "Come on, we could just go for a walk?" He whined, grabbing my hand and tugging it gently towards the door.

"Okay, fine!" I surrendered, not wanting to hear anymore of his bratty complaints. "A walk it is." Carl smiled and with that, we started roaming the streets of Alexandria side by side.

We talked and laughed while we walked around, until Carl stopped abruptly. He stared off into the distance, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at him. "What is it?" I followed his gaze and spotted a pretty teenage girl climbing over the wall.

She was really pretty. Her straight blond hair fell perfectly just past her shoulders. I crossed my arms over my chest uncomfortably and hunched my shoulders over slightly, feeling insecure as I thought about how much prettier than me the girl looked.

"We should go after her," Carl said. I felt my stomach twist in knots and I gave him a look that said he was crazy.

"Are you serious?" I appalled. Carl didn't reply, he just looked at me and shrugged. "No way am I going out there after her. If she gets in trouble, it's her fault for sneaking out like that. It's not our problem."

"Suit yourself," Carl shrugged and started jogging towards the wall where the girl had climbed out.

I have to be honest, it hurt pretty bad. The way he just left me, his best friend whom he's known for years, without hesitation for the girl who he'd never even spoken to before. I stood frozen in time and watched him until he was about half way to the wall.

I ran after him, wanting to stay as hidden as possible. I wasn't going to spy on Carl and the girl, if that's what you're thinking. I was just being cautious.