Ch.5

Ch. 5

After changing back to what I was wearing before the concert, I asked a random girl the time. I had ten minutes, before Anna would be back at her car. I ran as fast as I could back to the entrance.

I stood there slightly bent over for second to catch my breath. When I stood straight up, I could see the top of her head. That was twenty to thirty feet ahead.

I softly swore under my breath. Then, I continued to run to catch up.

When I finally tapped her shoulder, she turned around looking for a second.

When it hit about who tapped her shoulder, she asked, “Did you bring your inhaler?”

I shook my head as she pulled her bag off her shoulder. She rummaged through it for a bit and pulled out the inhaler she bejeweled on my last birthday when I gave it to her. I didn’t think she'd have it, since she thought I wasn’t coming to the fair.

She shook it and said, “Here,” as she held it out for me.

I took the inhaler and used it a couple times. Then I grinned at her, until I saw the annoyed look on her face. I must be in trouble.

“Am I in trouble?” I asked.

“No, but you could have not lied about not coming here.”

I looked away from here face I didn’t want to lie, but I can't tell I had to be here.

I breathed out slowly, then explained, “I didn't plan on it, but I didn't know what to do, other than come here. I'm sorry, Anna.”

She sighed as l looked back at her face, “What made you come?” I was about to say when she asked, “Wait, how did you even get here?”

“The bus, but I just didn't want to go home.” I paused when I saw her face soften. Then, I whispered, “I don't want to go back there.”

I was about to turn away again, when she cupped my face. I could feel my face getting warm as I let my mind jump to conclusion.

Softly, she said, “You made a good choice.” Then, she moved her hands to give me hug. I internally sighed with relief. I knew that I couldn’t be ready for her to show me she had feelings for me that were more than friendship. I held too many secrets for that, but this was the first deliberate half truth I've told her. I wondered how long this would continue and I'd dig a deeper hole for myself to climb out of.

*************

We pulled into the drive of Anna and her mother's place. I saw her mother's car was there, so it meant she was inside. This was going to be great to explain the situation to her. She said I was always welcome to come over, but did permanency, well atleast until the end of the school year, include under that umbrella.

I stopped Anna before the door, “Are sure this is okay?”

She sighed, “We need to stop pussy footing around it and ask her,” and with that she pulled the door open.

I was internally sulking. What if me staying permanently wasn’t what she meant. I internally swore when I saw her coming out of the kitchen. She immediately came up to cup my chin to scrutinize the most likely bright purple bruises from the makeup wearing off.

“When was this?” She asked.

I looked away, “This morning.”

She nodded, and as she walked back to the kitchen she asked, “How long before you go back to him this time.”

She sounded disappointed to me, she smiled as I said, “Hopefully never, I don't want to step a foot back on that place.”

She had to come back and hug me, “Thank goodness you are finally thinking for yourself.” She went back to the kitchen as I put my bag and guitar case down by the doorway see what she was cooking and how I could help. She turned her attention more toward Anna as she said, “Also, Anna sent me a message already asking if you can a least stay with us until you graduate. I told her you could stay as long as she needed.”