CHAPTER FOUR

"I hope you've all had enough to eat, because you're going to need as much energy as possible for this. You won't be fighting people until tomorrow afternoon, but that doesn't mean this won't be hard work. You need to act like the punching bag is the person you want to hurt the most in the world. You need to act like you want to kill that bag with your bare hands. If you can do that, then you'll be able to fight someone and win." 

It surprised me that Four was speaking in such a graphic manner, I would have expected that from Eric, not him. But despite that, I was taking everything Four had said into account. I knew exactly who I was going to pretend that punching bag was.

All the initiates were stood looking at the punching bag, squinting at it, as if they were picturing the face of whoever they hated to be on it. I didn't even need to picture it; just thinking of his name had me angry enough. 

I put my right foot forward and bent my knees slightly, wrapping my thumb around my fingers. I turned my foot and rotated my body as I threw my first punch. It hurt my hand slightly so I figured I was doing it wrong. I tried again, and this time it didn't hurt my hand as much. I used my right hand to jab at the bag, and my left for when I wanted to hit it harder. Every time I hit the punch bag, I wanted to hit it harder. Just picturing his face there and pretending I was punching him was giving me a hell of a lot more satisfaction than I originally thought it would. 
I lifted up my left leg, rotated my hips slightly and kicked the bag with my shin. I felt someone behind me but kept kicking the bag as if I hadn't felt their presence.

"You need to rotate your hips more when you're kicking the bag. Using your shin usually inflicts more pain which is good, but sometimes a jab with your foot is also good, so practice that as well," Eric instructed into my ear as he placed his hands on my hips, moving them.

"Thanks," I said, actually meaning it.

"You've got potential and I hate to see it go to waste, but-"

"But you still don't like me," I said, cutting him off with a slight smirk.

"No Transfer, I still don't like you."

**

"Oh man, I would kill for a burger right now," Jasper moaned, sitting down at the table.

"Jasper, you're at a table, with a plate, which has food on," Sage said slowly, as if she was talking to a child.

"Yeah but I mean like a proper burger, not this," He continued to whine, picking up his piece of meat with two halves of a bun around it, which clearly didn't qualify as a burger in his eyes, and looked at it distastefully.

"Define a proper burger, then," I challenged him.

"Well, it has meat, obviously, salad, onions, tomato, cheese, ketchup and mustard. This on the other hand," he said, waving at his burger, "Just has meat and ketchup."

"Jasper... You know there are salad and tomatoes and onions at the salad bar. You just went 'ew rabbit food' and walked off. So technically, you're at fault here, not the Dauntless chefs," Chase told him.

"Oh... well then. I guess I'm going to have to suffer."

"Evening troopers!" Elliot exclaimed as he sat down at our table.

"What's got you in such a cheery mood?" Sage asked him.

"He was the first to hit the target this morning and then he was the only one who knew the answers to the billions of questions Lauren and Cassia were asking us. I thought this was Dauntless, not bloody Erudite," Matt informed us, clearly disgruntled over it.

Deon then came to join us and sat down, looking incredibly pleased with himself.

"Anything you want to share with us on this fine evening, Deon?" Elliot questioned, still clearly in a good mood.