CHAPTER FOURTEEN

My heart started pounding, the fear on their faces making me incredibly uncomfortable.

"No, I mean yes, kind of, it's not what you think, it's a really long story," I blurted out, trying to explain but not being able to think straight.

"It's a pretty straightforward answer, either you did kill him or you didn't," Sage said accusingly.

"It's not as straightforward as you think. Please, just let me explain," I pleaded, but was interrupted by Eric approaching our table.

"Training time initiates. Get a move on."

Chase and Sage got up straight away and started walking, however, Jasper hesitated, looking at me, concerned.

"Jasper, I promise you it's not what you think. I'll explain everything," I whispered, my eyes tearing up again. I couldn't lose my friends, not after everything I'd been through.

"Jasper, go to the training room," Eric ordered.

Jasper looked at Eric and then looked at me again, nodding, indicating that he would listen to me. He turned away and went to catch up with the others.

"I would have thought you would have told them all by now," Eric said, sitting down next to me.

"I couldn't face it, but now I don't even know if they'll listen to me. Chase and Sage seem to think I'm a murderer," I mumbled, hugging my knees into my chest.

"If they're true friends then they'll listen to you."

"That's so comforting, thank you so much," I said, rolling my eyes at him.

"I'm still your Leader and Instructor, you can't take that tone with me in public," he reminded me.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. Are you sure you're up for training today? We're releasing the leaderboard today, but you don't need to come if you're not up for it. The final fights aren't until two days away," Eric told me, concern filling his face. He's started showing more and more concern towards me recently and it was confusing me so much.

"Will me not coming to training affect my position on the leaderboard?" I asked, really not wanting to go, but still desperate to do well.

"Well, considering you're second, it won't."

"I'm second?" I asked, my jaw dropping.

"Yes, don't look so surprised, you're doing very well here."

"But how the hell am I that high up?"

"You're the strongest initiate we have, and you were also the one who suggested hiding the flag in the helter-skelter, so that boosted your position even more. The only person above you is a Dauntless-born called Elliot, although after your drunken nights I don't feel like I have to explain who he is to you," Eric replied, smirking slightly at the last comment.

"So you definitely knew it was us making so much noise all the time?"

"I'm not stupid, of course, I knew it was you," he laughed slightly, shaking his head.

"Yeah, sorry about that," I said, smiling for what seemed to be the first time all day.

"It's okay, it gives me entertainment. Do you want to stay at my place this afternoon instead of going to training? It'll give you time to sleep without the fear that Lee might come in," Eric suggested. I was shocked that he was speaking about me staying at his so openly, especially as anyone who walked by could hear us, but I guess who could just explain it as him being a caring Instructor.