Chapter 3: Breathing in Qin

***********************************************************************************************

The woman's face grew a saddened expression. "Oh my, how sad. I'm deeply sorry."

She looked at her son before returning to me with a bright smile. "How about this? Why don't you come back home with me? It looks like it has been awhile since you last ate any food and your clothes are all worn out. I'll give you a nice bath and a warm dinner. What do you say?"

I was taken by her very generous offer. "It's okay. You don't need to do that."

"Of course I do! It's the very least that I can do since you saved my life. In addition, I cannot let such a young girl like you to be out here all alone in the dangerous woods by yourself. What do you say? Come with me back home, you can stay as long as you like."

I could not find the energy in myself to reject her offer. I had no clothes, food, or even water with me. Given by my current situation, she was the best option I had if I were to survive. My stomach growled like the size of a tiger and my body gravely needed a bath. And so I responded, "Thank you."

***********************************************************************************************

Vocabulary: 

1. Liao Ye: A term used to address the male head of the family of noble status.

CHAPTER 3

The woman's son guided us out of the woods and into a largely barren land. In the distance, I spotted a brown horse and large wooden carriage. Standing near the carriage was a young woman looking relatively anxious. As we walked closer, the young woman noticed us and made a quick run towards us.

"Madam! Are you alright? I was so worried when I turned around and you were not there, so I ran back home to inform the young master."

On the surface, I could tell that she and the girl had a very close relationship. In a way, it reminded of the way between me and aunt Mei.

The woman looked at her servant with tenderness and concern. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I was unlucky and ran into a bandit but this young lady here saved me. Soon after, Jian'er came and found us."

The young servant glanced at my direction and said, "Thank you for saving my madame."

I nervously smiled at the sudden amount of gratitude towards me. "Don't thank me. I didn't really know what I was doing."

From the corner of my eyes, I could see that the madam's son leaning against a tree behind us, observing me intently. Chills went down my spine as he was shooting daggers at me with the glare from his eyes. I could tell that I'm was going to be on his bad side from now on.

The madam glances and gestures me towards the carriage saying, "You can go first."

I've never been in a carriage before, I had an innate feeling that this woman was no ordinary woman. Even back in the modern world, seeing a carriage is rare and means royalty is near.

It was just the two of us in the carriage. The young man sat outside steering the carriage while the young servant sat outside in the corner. At first, the air was filled with silence until the woman said, "Don't mind my son. He's always spewing nonsense that he doesn't mean."

"Don't worry, I'm not offended."

"I've been waiting to ask, How old are you dear? You look young to be out here in the woods."

I gave a small nervous laugh and answered, "I just turned nineteen years old this year."

The woman giggled behind her hands. "You're one year younger than my son. Although he could be a little immature at times. It's really nice to meet such a kind lady like you. I really hope we will get to know each other in the future."