Chapter 21: The Crown Prince's Impermanence

Consort Xin lifted her gaze to Emperor Shang and spoke as if she'd been wronged. "Your Majesty, what chenqie[1] said were all true. Not only did Crown Prince leisurely stroll in, late, but he also took to insulting chenqie." She wanted the emperor to pass his judgement—preferably in her favor. However, she was unaware that her impertinent remarks had caused the faces of several people in the Great Hall to pale.

[1] "臣妾" = A form of self-address used by females, meaning 'your consort/concubine'.

Emperor Shang neither answered her nor reproached her. His indifference almost made her eyes redden, but fortunately, after years of experience residing in the palace, she was able to quickly readjust her mood and even continue on what she had been saying. "The Crown Prince displayed such ignorance towards proper courtesy; how could he possibly shoulder the great responsibility that comes with his title?" The instant these words were spoken, even her own son, Third Prince Shang Cheng Ying, shot his mother a look.

Unfortunately, Consort Xin's eyes and rationality were both shrouded by jealousy. Her love for Emperor Shang was genuine, but it was a pity that she was never anything in his eyes. Towards this, she was tolerant, because Emperor Shang did not love anyone else either. However, when Empress Qiu showed up at the palace, Emperor Shang's doting and tender side surfaced. How could Consort Xin not be jealous? Now, seeing the Crown Prince, whose appearance held some resemblance to Empress Qiu's, hatred tempted Consort Xin to bring death upon him.

Her words shocked the Great Hall into silence. Then, most of the onlookers became interested and felt entertained as they waited to see if Emperor Shang would punish the Crown Prince or defend him. The indolent expression that was originally on Shang Wuxin's face turned into an icy one. Her deep phoenix eyes flashed with a wicked gleam. She didn't think that a trifling, little concubine would dare to rebuke her while they were in the Great Hall—it appeared that the original 'Crown Prince' really didn't have any dignity.

Huan Mo Che and Leng Yu Feng were the first ones to notice that the aura around Shang Wuxin had chilled and became imposing. In their hearts, the two men felt that Consort Xin was truly a fool. Regardless of whether the Crown Prince was favored or not, it was not a concubine's place to decide such things. Nonetheless, Huan Mo Che was curious to see how the Crown Prince would handle this.

"Who are you?" Shang Wuxin asked as she picked up a cup of tea from the table and slowly enjoyed the drink.

Consort Xin didn't expect her provocation to elicit that sort of question, causing the expression on her beautiful face to crack. She pointed a polished finger at Shang Wuxin and said, "Benfei[2] is your elder. Does the Crown Prince insist on sustaining an arrogant attitude?" She even swept a gaze over the present officials, prompting them to open their eyes so they could see the Crown Prince's lack of conduct.

[2] "本妃" = A form of self-address used by concubines/consorts, meaning 'this concubine/consort'.

"Pft!" Shang Wuxin lazily looked up and glanced at her. "Elder? You're nothing but one of fuhuang[3]'s consorts; a mere concubine, really, and yet you dare call yourself an elder? Or could it be that you wish to replace bengong's[4] late muhou[5] and seize her title as the Empress? If so, then bengong might consider recognizing you as my elder[6]!"

I apologize for the succession of footnotes here...

[3] "父皇" = A term used by children of the emperor, meaning 'Imperial Father'.

[4] "本宫" = A form of self-address used by imperial family members, literally meaning 'this palace,' but in this case means 'this prince'.

[5] "母后" = A term used by children of the empress, meaning 'Imperial Mother'.