The stillness

PART 2          

                         Darkness.

                         The hands of the dead clutch at me, hold me in place as I watch my soul writhe in agony then be cast aside to lay among the bones of the long forgotten.

                         The dead leave but I still can’t move. Paralysed by sorrow and fear I start to cry. I feel sick and want to vomit but I’m not allowed such luxuries.

                         Eventually I work myself up into anger and I become filled with rage. As if manifesting its self, the piles of bone which litter the area explode into flames as I storm about. These must burn.

                         I’ve burned so many piles and my rage is burned out but I know there are still more out there and that those which have been destroyed will come back so I just lay there and sob. It’s all I can do.

                         Hours later I am still sobbing, hugging my legs to my chest, but am now in fields of ice. I’m so cold and so lonely.

                         This place is empty, is has no substance. It sucks the life and the very existence out of everything so you become hollow, merely a shadow of the life you once had.

                         I hate myself. I hate myself for letting me be brought here but most for what I did to be brought here.

                         I cry even harder. My body shakes with the effort of each breath.

                         It’s so cold, so empty.

                         So empty of all emotion I become resigned to being here noticing for the first time lumps in the ice sheet. Others have been here too and not survived. They’ve let themselves become frozen with no life in them.

                         My breathing remains steady as the ice lists lazily up my body. Slow and steady, it doesn’t need to devour me quickly I can’t go anywhere.

                         Two words break free from my lips before I am still “save me…”

                         With these two words I plead to the only one who can save me.

                         The soft coos of doves surround me. They leave wakes of fire which melts the ice, purifies the bones.

                          I am free of the ice and sit up.

                         Again that hand reaches out of the light. Those eyes stare at me and I hold their gaze. They are so inviting, they want me to take the hand. So do I.

                         Again death stands behind me but he cannot touch me through the wall of fire.

                         I have a choice. I make it and slowly start to move.