The Mirror in the Morgue

Sherlock stormed into the hospital, John close at his heels. Lestrade caught up with him.

“What have we got?” Sherlock asked as he walked through the familiar corridors of St Bartholomew's Hospital.

“Someone snuck in here, actually snuck into the morgue-”

“If you’ll skip the commentary,” Sherlock said.

“Oh, sorry,” Lestrade retorted.

“Don’t worry about it. Facts!”

“Someone snuck into the morgue, with a mirror, and wrote Maria on the mirror. Oh, and she left a note.”

“A note?”

“For you?”

“Ooh,” Sherlock said as he turned into the morgue. There was a bunch of police officers, photographing and looking for fingerprints. “Out!” Sherlock demanded. There was a pause.

Lestrade sighed. “You heard the man. Out you get.”

There was a general noise of disapproval, which Sherlock ignored as he walked toward the mirror.

The mirror was full length, with a golden frame. It was beautiful, and heavy, Sherlock thought. For someone to carry it in would be a tremendous effort.

“You said they snuck in the mirror?”

“Yes.”

“It’s too heavy.”

“That’s what I thought, but if you try-”

Sherlock stepped forward and lifted it. “It’s lighter than it looks,” he commented.

“Yes.” Lestrade said.

“Hmm,” Sherlock said, looking at the actual mirror itself. The word MARIA was written on it, in capital letters this time, so no clue there. But then, he ducked down to read this, in smaller letters was writing, still in lipstick – “Sherlock, sorry for the wait! Don’t worry, this game was worth it. Maria, XOXO"

Sherlock frowned and stood up. “How did they sneak in? Wasn’t there an attendant?”

Lestrade nodded. “She’s in the office.”