Epilogue - New Beginnings

John frowned at the girl who had come to their door. “Maria? What are you…?”

“Doing? Sherlock invited me here. To stay. Didn’t he tell you?” she said as she pushed past him, carrying a box full of random things.

“Ah, Sherlock?” John called out.

“Maria. Glad you made it.”

“Sherlock, what’s going on?”

“I invited her to stay for a while.”

“But why?”

“She works for me now. Don’t you remember?”

“I do, but-”

“So it’s only logical she stays here – away from any contact with her organisation.”

Maria was looking around. “It’s a bit small,” she called from the kitchen.

“What happened to the organisation anyway?” John asked.

“Oh, I sent out the hibernation message last night. It’s over. For now at least,” she said with a flirty look at Sherlock.

Sherlock sighed. “As long as you keep to your promise.”

“I’m not going to break my promise,” she told him. “But if you die unexpectedly, I’m off the hook.”

Sherlock rolled his eyes. “There’s a spare room upstairs.”

“Great. I’ll grab the rest of my stuff later.” She went upstairs, carrying the box precariously.

“Are you crazy?” John whispered anxiously.

“So I’ve been told.”

“She’s a murderer. She’s delusional!”

“True on both counts.”

John frowned. “So we’re just going to let her move in?”

“Yep. Since she’s out of the organisation, she’s practically unemployed.”

“But-”

“I give you my word she won’t hurt you John.”

John was about to rebut when Maria came back down. “Nice.” She said. She smiled at them. “So, what do you wanna do?”

There was a knock at the door.

“Ah, Lestrade’s here,” Maria said.

John opened the door, to find that it was indeed Lestrade knocking.

“Sherlock, there’s a case. I…Anna?”

“Hi, Lestrade,” Maria said, falling back to the morgue attendant personality.

“What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I decided being a morgue attendant wasn’t really my type of job.”

“Why are you here then?”

“Oh! Sherlock offered me a job?”

“A job?”

“Oh, yes,” Maria said. “You’re looking at the only female consulting detective in the world.”