Chapter 3

*Caroline's POV*

The sun was barely up so if I were to guess, it was probably around three or four in the morning. I started to walk out of the town. I looked down at the ground and the road looked dry and cracked in some places because of the sun beating down on it during the day. To my acknowledgment, it seemed like it hadn't rained here for a long time. As far as I was here it never rained a single drop, I was craving to have water drip on my hot skin but knowing me I would need the water that was in my water bottle. 

I have no idea what would happen if I just suddenly ran out of supplies during my trip back home. Although, I had to ask myself this one simple-minded question, why was I going back to a town and home that no one wanted me? I was 16 years old, two years and I would be an adult so wasn't I old enough to live on my own? I looked up at the sky and again saw no rain clouds in sight. The craving for water on my skin only grew as I walked. Was it too late to turn back? Yeah, probably.

A bunch of thoughts randomly popped into my head. I wish I had music to listen to while I walked. I wish my family and boyfriend didn't throw me away like I was garbage. I wish I could shower right now. I often wished for a lot of things that I couldn't have and so far they haven't come true yet. I continued to walk aimlessly and the sweat started pouring off my forehead as the sun rose higher in the sky. I stopped for a few minutes to take off my backpack and take out a small bit of food and a water bottle. I ate the little bit of food and drank a tiny bit of water.

I started to put the contents back in my backpack when suddenly I heard noises. I couldn't tell if it were birds or a vehicle making a screeching sound but whatever it was, I didn't want to be near it just in case it decided to come for me. Or maybe I was paranoid and hearing things? I continued to walk until I came to a train station, but to my luck, it was also abandoned. I walked into the train station to take a break from walking and from the sun. It was nice and cool here and my skin started to cool down a bit which I was surely thankful for but I knew I couldn't stay here forever. I knew I had to push myself and keep moving.

I stood up from the cold train station floor and walked back out into the sun, I started to walk back home once again. A few times I would fall from exhaustion but I knew I couldn't sleep here out in the open with no shelter from predators or from the sun so I tried to keep moving. I could almost feel in my gut that I had only traveled a quarter or less of the way there because of my pace. I stopped and looked around for shelter and saw there was a cave looking thing to my right.

I walked over to it but it wasn't a cave at all, it was a rock that had empty space below it and on one side the rock was attached to the ground and on the other side there was an opening. To be honest I had no idea what this thing was called but it looked safe enough to take a nap in or sleep in since it was around six at night. I walked under the rock and saw that there was sand at where I was going to lay down at. That was good because it would give a much nicer ground to lay on that wasn't little tiny rocks.

I moved the sand to position it like a birds nest but of course without the sticks. Once the nest of sand was positioned just how I wanted it, I hopped into it and took off my backpack. I put the backpack in front of me with my arms tightly around it so nothing could steal it or dig through it while I was asleep. My eyes slowly started to close and before I knew it I was in a deep sleep. I started to dream but turns out it was just another nightmare, similar to the other nightmares I've had for the past week or so.

The nightmares always started the same but in the middle was when it took a turn for the worse which always caused me to toss and turn and even sometimes scream in fear and horror that it could possibly come true any day now. Sometimes the dream or nightmare scared me so much that I would bolt up from where I was laying and a cold sweat would be running down the side of my face.

I bolted up in a sitting position while I hugged my knees trying to tell myself nightmares won't come to life and haunt me but I wasn't fooling myself. I was still convinced that my nightmares could just pop right out into real life and torture more or something worse but honestly, I didn't know what was worse than torture. I remember when my dad always told me scary stories when I was little, they didn't scare me because I knew they weren't real but I had no idea where this fear came from.

All I knew was that if I couldn't sleep then I had to keep moving towards home or to a place that was once my home...