Day 2 Ms. Incredibles Jane

This morning she is just walking toward her workplace when an old woman called her.

"Hey, you! Yes,the yellow lady! You are new, aren't you?" asks her. She looks around. No one wears a yellow scarf like her. So she must have called her.

"Me? Are you calling for me, Ma'am?" asks her.

"Yes. You. Who else?" says the invalid old woman. She is sitting on her wheelchair, bathing in morning sunlight.

Ms.Lemon approaches her. She sits on a bench next to her. "Yes, Ma'am? What could I do for you?" asks her politely.

"Scratch my back. I can't reach it," complaints her. Ms. Lemon scratches her back as requested. "No, not there. Lower. Yes, that's it. Oh, that felt good!"

"Thank you," says her. "Don't mention it, Ma'am," says Ms. Lemon.

"You work for Mr. Poirot, aren't you?" "Yes, Ma'am." "He might look like a narcissist. But he is smarter than he looks. Like old Joe in my village."

"Pardon me?" "Just an old judge back home. Face like a humble priest. But he always could tell rotten eggs from good ones."

(Gosh! She is rambling. Maybe she has gone senile. How old is she? Seventy? Almost eighty?)

"Don't give me that look, young lady! I'm not senile yet." "Sorry..."

"Don't fall in love with Hastings. He likes being a hero. Always falling for a damsel in distress. A strong minded lady like you, won't be attractive for him. And never believe Derek Tremayne. He looks like little Brock too much."

"I'm late, Ma'am. I have to go now." "Better hurry. Your boss loves punctuality. Come visit old Jane anytime. I'm always here," says her.

(A friendly old woman. Probably at the edge of senile. My first friend in this neighborhood).

*****

"Two minutes late,Ms. Lemon," scolds Poirot when she barely enters the office. "I'm sorry, Sir. It won't happen again." "Good to hear. How's progress?" "I'm sorting the files based on years, Sir."

Poirot goes to sit on a couch. Reading a  newspaper. Ms. Lemon says, "Captain Hastings would be here for lunch, Sir."

"I know. He dropped by earlier. You should have told me yesterday. Now I have to cancel my lunch appointment with another man," says him sourly.

"I'm sorry, Sir." "Keep my appointment in good order,Ms.Lemon." "Yes, Sir."

*****

Her boss has gone out for lunch. She is sitting on a bench, eating lunch under a big tree.

People often labeled women dining out alone as whores. So female workers like her have no choice to depend on their bosses' kindness.

Kind boss would provide lunch for his female workers. Stingy boss would let them starve.

Tasty sandwich.

(Boss employed a good chef at home).

She just finished her lunch. She wipes away bread crumbs from her dress.

Fifteen minutes left from her lunch break. Ms. Lemon takes out her notebook. Waiting for any inspiration to hit her.

"I know you aren't an ordinary secretary," says old Jane. Her nurse pushes her wheelchair next to the bench.

"We meet again, Ma'am," greets her politely. "Leave us, Gladys," orders the old lady. The nurse yawns a little before walking away.

"I'm afraid Gladys got birdbrain. One of these days, a ruffian might take advantage of her. She trusted sweet talking man too easily," says Jane.