Chapter 3

Night of the Star Magic Ball. Kayla was all set para sa gabing iyon. She’s wearing a Chanel dress, off white with a tight, fitted bodice and a full, flared, glamorous skirt that stop right on her feet and paired it with beige Gucci purse.

“You look perfect, anak.” She remembered her mom saying it while she was fitting in this dress. Her mom was right of course. She’d always picked out the perfect thing.

Pasado alas syete na, and it’s about time for her to go down at lumabas coz her date was waiting outside. Every step she’d take gave her a loud thud in her heart. She’s quite nervous and yet excited.  And there he was, Enrique Mari, her date, standing perfectly on their front porch wearing a Ralph Lauren suit. It was like meeting someone out of her dreams, or fantasies or a beloved character from a favorite book. His eyes, those beautiful almond eyes, the kindest eyes she had ever seen were staring at her. She could say now that he must be enchanted.

“Ready to go now, Princess?” Giving his hand, and flashing those shimmering teeth.

“Yes.” Yes. Yes was all she could answer. She was speechless.

“Oh, Quen, alam mo na ah. Ikaw na ang bahala sa prinsesa namin.” Paalala ni Mommy Lin.

“Sure, tita. As always. Ako na pong bahala.”

The only thing that was lovelier than the black car they were riding in was the man driving it. Seeing him drive, for Kayla, was very manly. She really felt like a princess. And when they reached the venue of the ball, she could see a lot of people, press, and other co-celebrities that were very beautiful that night. Quen opened the door for her, as always, and assisted her in going out of the car. Cameras flashing, media, and questions were now welcoming them.

“We’re very surprise! Kayo pala ang magkadate tonight!” Kayla and Quen just smiled and posed for some quick shots.

They just ignored the media and headed for the red carpet, and there, a lot of people asked kung bakit sila ang magkasama sa gabing iyon at hindi ang kanilang mga bagong ka-loveteam.

“Wala, I think, she’s the one I like para maging date, so I asked her.” Quen answered the question na kanina pa tinatanong sakanila ng mga reporter.

Another reporter asked, “Paano mo naman siya napapayag? Bilang, we all know na batang-bata pa si Kayla.”

“I asked her mom first, Tita Lin, naging close na rin kasi kami sa set kasi lagi siyang kasama ni Kayla pagtaping. Sabi niya mabait naman daw ako, sobrang gentleman, so I asked her if okay lang, so ayon, okay lang naman daw.”

Kaila was surprised to hear those words bilang hindi naman niya na naitanong ang detalyeng ito sa mommy niya. She even heard the reporter said to Quen, “So boto pala ang mommy ni Kayla sa’yo?”

Quen answered abruptly, “Oo naman!”

Then Kayla blushed. Was it just part of being in front of the media or may sinabi talaga ang mommy niya rito?

“So hindi ka na mahihirapan kung sakaling liligawan mo si Kayla?” Another reporter asked.

Nagulat siya sa sinagot ni Quen, “Oo” then laughed. “Okay lang.” laughed again.

Then now the reporter put her on the hot seat, “Kung sakali bang manligaw sa’yo si Enrique, may pag-asa ba siya?”

She was caught off guard, and she could hear herself stuttering, “Ah, hindi ko po alam, tingnan po natin, wala pa namang ganyan-ganyan.”

And before they could leave para makapasok sa dance hall, another question came from another reporter. “Enrique, diba may Cosmo Bash ka next week, invited ba si Kayla, you will be the finale right?”