Prologue

A small girl sits alone on a swing, at a sweet sixteen birthday party, for her older sister, at a small park. A boy who looked to be a year older walked by, staring at the ground. "Hey, do you wanna swing with me....?"The girl asks quietly. The boy looks up, startled, but smiles at her. "Sure. I'm Jeffrey, but you can call me Jeff, okay?" the boy says, sitting in the swing next to the girl and propelling himself slightly, with his feet. "Nice to meet you Jeff, I'm Katelyn, but you can just call me kate..or.." She stops talking and smiles thinly, looking much to old for the age of Ten. "Nice to meet you too, Kate."the little boy, Jeff, said. For a while, the two talk to each other, and get to know each other. But then, another figure emerges into the park from the opposite side of the party, and walks quickly over to Jeff and Kate. "JEFFREY WOODS! Do you think you can just walk away from the house whenever?!?!"the woman asks, angrily. Jeff blanches, and gets off of the swing and away from Kate quickly. "N-no Mom.." He says, visibly shaking. The woman glares at him, and sighs. "No matter, I guess you can stay here for a little while longer..."she states, walking over to the party. Jeff walks back to Kate, slowly, unsteadily. "They.... always yell at me like that.... my older brother is the only........ the only person I can really trust." He says, dazed. "But..... you..... you didn't judge me first thing." He said, looking at her. "I know what its like...... to....... be treated.... that way.." she said, her head down. "So you're treated like you don't matter too?" he asked incredulously.The young girl nodded her head, not looking at him. Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around the girl. "What...... what are you doing?" she asked him, confused."Being an equal."