Chapter 2

Part II

“Merrill! Glad you got here in time. So what was that dust?”

Merrill and Tifea then headed up to Tifea’s room so that they could talk about this in privacy. While they sat on the bed and Merrill laid down an old, battered and tired looking Elven book and opened it up to a page with several pictures of different kinds of dust particles. Under each picture Tifea could only presume was a description about each dust group, but it was all written in Elven so not much of it could be read by her.

“Right here, this is the dust that Danarius put on Fenris before he turned on us… I mean, I know it’s not like you can read it but… I’m sorry let me just read it to you.”

As Merrill reads, her thin index finger underlines each word, only to keep Tifea on track with where she’s at.

“Hypnotic Dust. This dust was once used upon living creatures by the Elves to allow them to gain trust with ‘said’ creatures. The being would still have its senses but would have to listen to its master, the person who threw the dust. After wearing off the creature would gain back control of its actions then decide upon whether the master was worthy of following.

“All living creatures on world of Toril have a portion of lyrium in their body whether it is a small portion, for example a bird, or large portions, such as mages. The Hypnotic Dust’s potency on the host creature will increase directly with the amount of lyrium in the host’s body. The more lyrium possessed by the host being, the longer the master will be able to control the host… and then it goes on about how the different amounts of lyrium are equal to the amount of time the controling las---”

“That’s why!” Tifea screamed, “that’s why Fenris even listened to Danarius! And why Danarius put those tattoos all over him, so that he could make sure Fenris never gets out of his control…”

“That’s a horrible… but that still doesn’t tell us what we are going to do to get Fenris back…”

“I know what we’re going to doing. We just need to get in there and kill Danarius.”

Tifea then got out of the bed and walked towards the fire.

“We will get Fenris back Merrill…”

*          *          *

“Aveline! You and Varric are coming with Merrill and me to go get Fenris.”

Aveline was just working at her table, in the Guard Captain’s Office, before she heard this unexpected demand.

“Are you sure you’re well enough to go Tifea? I mean that attack---”

“Hurry we need to get Varric then talk to Hubert f--- about the information on Danarius.”

Aveline then got up from her desk to stand in front of Tifea as if she was in the military ready to take command.

“Very well Hawk, but you had better watch yourself.”

 “Thanks Aveline”

Merrill then walked up next to the two, smiling and ready to go.

“Um… Well, let’s go get Varric then shall we?”

After picking up Varric, the party headed into Hightown, a subsection of Kirkwall, to find Tifea’s business partner, Hubert. Hubert was a good business man but a bad person to be around, the slightest thing could tick him off, especially if it is going to cost him something.

“Here is the information you requested Hawk” he says, handing an envelope to Tifea, “one of my contacts actually rented the estate to Danarius two days ago, isn’t that a coincidence, is it not?”

Aveline then looked at Tifea in surprise, “you didn’t even get the information about this guy before rallying us?”

Tifea, opening the envelope, started turning towards the exit of the city ready to leave, “I told you I was going to get it and I did. I didn’t say when.”

Varric just stood and laughed at the look on Aveline’s face then looked at Tifea, “that’s just like you, Hawk.”

Tifea looked over her shoulder and grinned at Varric, then looked up at the others “okay everyone, we leave when the sun starts to set, so get ready!”