Chapter 3

Part III

“Danarius!”

This is the only sound that could be heard among the clanging of chains and yelling of guards as they attempted to put a prisoner into one of the estate’s cells. But this wasn’t any ordinary prisoner, at least not for an elf. It took ten of Danarius’s best men at the estate to hold down the elf, in order for two others to chain him to the back of the cell. The damp floors and cold air didn’t help the guards much, but it almost allowed the elf to escape their grasp. With the elf’s equipment on the other side of the dungeon, outside of his prison cell, and him chained down, all the guards left the cell, locked it and waited for their next orders from their leader.

Down the stairs came the well decorated and elegant mage, Danarius, into the dismal and cold area of the prison, only to confront his one prisoner.

“Fenris, I am glad to see you back on my side.”

The elf stood up from the floor and glared at the mage with in fury, “It wasn’t by choice.”

Danarius then looked him in the eyes and smiled, “choice or not, how long did you think you could run away from me? I am your master, and I have found you before, what made you think that this predicament would be any different? The fact that it might have taken me a little longer to gain enough forces to get my ‘Little Wolf’ back?… Or perhaps not.” Danarius then slowly started walking around the front of Fenris’s cell looking up at the ceiling, as if the idea of his was going to take him years of thought to produce. “Perhaps it was that girl… Yes… that rogue.” He looked back at Fenris, “I saw how she looks at you, and how surprised she was when she saw you turn on her---”

“Shut up!”

“Oh but that wasn’t even the best part,” uttered Danarius, “No, the best part was the look on her face when you answered her question, her last question… the one where you answered why you would follow, or was it listen, to me if you hated me…”

Fenris started to flex his arms only hoping that if he charged fast enough that the chains would break,“I will kill you for what you’ve made me do---!”

“Silence!” Danarius was now infuriated and grinding his teeth in rage, even aura of red mist seemed to engulf his body. And upon this sight, all of Danarius’s guards stepped back to avoid his anger, “She is the one that has filled your head with all these idiotic delusions. These false truths of you ever being free from me! I am your master not her, and I am the one who chooses the date of your freedom! And if you don’t want to lose everything you have now, any time soon, then I suggest you get that through your head, elf.”

After his enraged rant, Danarius left the dungeon and ordered his men to guard the opening to the door at the top of the stairs. After his master left, Fenris tried to at least touch he’s cage’s metal bars but he knew Danarius was smarter than that. The chains that cuffed him only would allow him to be three feet from the prison door, knowing well enough Fenris could escape being any closer.

So with no escape and no knowledge of a rescue Fenris sat and considered his situation.

“What are the odds that she would even think to send anyone after me… or to even come herself?… I almost. I could have killed her with one swing of that sword.” In the midst of realizing what he’d done, Fenris’s thoughts began to spiral. “Whenever I’m mad I always take it out on her, like when she helped me kill Hadriana…” Fenris sighed and continued to think, until he came up with the answer to his question. “She isn’t coming…”

Danarius was right… what was I thinking, that I’d be free from him with her. I don’t even know how to act properly around her, or as Merrill says, to be happy. I should accept that Tifea isn’t coming and that I’m stuck with him… again.