chapter two

It’s only been one day since I left home. I didn’t stop driving very often, just to eat, go to the bathroom, and sleep. I slept in my car, not wanting to waste money on a motel. No one has tried to contact me yet, and for that I am grateful. I was clear of my home state and just recently passed through the next one, making my way towards California. It only took about 24 hours to get there, but it took longer since I had to stop at night and get sleep.  

I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do once I got there. I’ve decided for the most part that I will take up residence in San Francisco, but apart from that, it seems that spontaneity will my best friend for awhile.

 I have a lot of time to think while I’m out o the road. However, the one thing that does not pass my mind is regret. A small ounce of fear that Nico will track me down and rag me back, yes, but in no way will I ever regret leaving. There was no life left for me there. No one appreciated me. I grew to not even appreciate myself. If someone can’t even appreciate themselves, then something in their life has to change, and I decided to make that change.

No longer was that small, uninteresting town my miserable reality. I am determined to create a happy independent life for myself, and forget about my old life.

******

The next morning, I arrived in California. I was making my way to San Francisco as fast as I legally could.

All I had to keep me company these last couple of days was my music. The Orwells, Portugal. The Man, The Black Keys, FIDLAR, Wavves, and Grouplove were the bands that I was constantly listening to. Honestly, these bands are all I have to keep me sane in an insane town.

I noticed that I was low on gas, so since I was in a town, I decided to look for a station close by.

After a few minutes of searching I found an old run down gas station, but it seemed that it was the only one around, and the gas wasn’t very expensive so I pulled over and started to fill up my tank. I decided to go into the convenient store next to the pumps to get myself something to drink. I noticed that there were only two people in the store apart from me, a heavy middle aged woman and a man that looked to be about five years older than me.

I went straight to the drink section and picked up an oversized water bottle and went up to the front to pay for it. While the lady was coming up with a total, I looked around to see that the young man was no longer inside. I noticed him outside waiting by my car.

Instantly, fear spiked into my chest and I became very apprehensive. I paid the lady and slowly walked outside to the direction of my car. The man met my eyes but made no move to leave.

“May I help you?” I asked the man coldly.

“I feel like I should be the one asking you that question,” he said with a smirk playing on his lips. “Why are you running away?” the man asked, looking into the car at my packed bags.

“I’m not running away.” I lied, trying to convince him. “I am visiting family in the Bay Area.”

“Oh that’s where I’m heading!” the stranger said excitedly, fully convinced by my lie. “Need any help getting there? It’s dangerous for a beautiful young lady like you to be traveling by yourself,” he said while taking a step towards me, while I took one backwards.

“Nice try. How about you fuck off, creep,” I said with a sneer on my lips.

“Ok, ok, calm down babe. Here’s my number if you ever need help,” he said with a flirtatious wink while scribbling numbers on a scrap piece of paper he pulled out of his pocket. He handed it to me and I grabbed it, with plans to throw it away later in my head.