Chapter Two

The team ate none too quietly, conversation ringing around them. Everyone told stories, dragging them back through old memories. Most were from the orphanage, before the whole apocalypse. The only one that didn't speak was Raven, who was stirring her tomato soup and staring into its depths, as if she could see all the atoms inside of it. In her lap sat the claws that she fought with, wicked sharp, curved steel poking out from dark painted steel. The dark painted steel was shaped like brass knuckles, and when the claws were removed, they could be used as such. Black leather straps attached the claws to her wrists. They served as outstanding and fascinating weapons, but Optic preferred they weren't always in close-range to fight whatever creatures they got into a tangle with. So, at Raven's hip, was a nine-by-nine-millimeter Parabellum .45 ACP Smith and Wesson pistol. She hardly used it, and "forgot" it when she could. Optic tried to make sure she never left without it, and over the years it had gotten a lot easier. She was rather obedient, but found far too many loopholes for Optic's liking.
At the end of the meal, Raven stood, excusing herself quietly, and walked away from the small fold table. This was the usual for her, she just slipped out and away. Sometimes Optic never noticed, and sometimes she payed too much attention to it. Either way, Raven left through the hatch, letting them finish their meal, with her own food half-eaten beside Flint. Siren loved to listen to Raven read her anything by Edgar Allan-Poe, which was why she looked so disappointed when Raven stalked away. Usually Raven would read to her before she went to sleep, and Siren loved it. It was something she found out that Flint had once done for Raven, and sometimes she thought she heard him reading to her through the walls. They had a bond, in that manner, and Siren looked up to Raven like she was a queen. But she also looked up to Optic like she was a mother, which made Optic even more protective of the young girl.

Optic brushed more of these useless thoughts from her mind, and after Soot had finished off Raven's bowl of soup, she stood. "Alright, let's get to bed. And please, Soot, no more midnight snacks," She raised an eyebrow at the young, pudgy-looking boy. He blushed faintly and nodded quickly, and she smiled gently, releasing him from her intense gaze. She nodded, and the rest of them stood, filing out of the kitchen and towards their separate bedrooms. Gear grinned at Optic as he ducked into his room, the split second his door was open she could see the monstrosity that was his room, making her shudder. She hated how messy it was, and even tried to help him keep it organized, but he could never keep it straight for two days. She gave a small wave to Flint as he walked into his room and shut the door after returning her farewell. Optic ushered the two children into their bedroom, and they speedily changed into their pajamas, simple t-shirts and shorts, the cleanest clothes they owned.

Soot and Siren slipped into their beds, on opposite sides of the room. Soot's side, like Gear's room, was a complete mess. Siren's, like Raven and Optic's was neat, although not as neat. The children shut their eyes, and Optic kissed them each on the forehead and tucked them into bed. Siren smiled faintly as Optic shut off the lamps, leaving them in the chilling darkness. Somehow, they weren't afraid of it. The bravery of children really did amaze her sometimes, especially after all they've seen and what they're trudging through. She just hoped the world would slowly rebuild itself and they could live the full lives they should. She watched for a moment longer, before slipping out of their room. She poked her head in to say goodnight to Gear, but he was already sound asleep, limbs strewn everywhere and snoring loudly with his mouth open. He looked so boyish, and more puppy-like than ever. She chuckled softly at the thought, then shut the door again.

She moved to Flint's room and gently tapped on it before pushing inside. Flint was seated on his bed, staring at a wall, rubbing his jaw. She sat down next to him and smiled, bumping his shoulder with her own. He blinked in surprise, his hand pausing as he looked over at her. "I just came in to say goodnight. And I know you're dwelling on Raven's wellbeing. You know she can handle herself, you nanny. And the night shift is good for her, she can recite constellations in her head, and that might help her sleep tomorrow," She put the words gently, and he watched her for a moment before responding.