chapter 4

Demi

I looked at Maxwell in astonishment. I never thought I hear her swear, let alone use it in the context of her home.

"Honey, first off no swearing, second off what do you mean by 'personal hellhole?'" I sat down in front of Maxwell and lifted her chin with my finger.

She looked up and shook her head, "I don't want to go back! I don't want to go back to the  orphanage, it sucks! I hate it with all my might...please don't make me go back." Maxwell had tears in her eyes and she started to breath fast.

I went over to Maxwell's side and held onto her shoulders.

"Its okay honey, calm down...listen I'll see what I can do to help you out." Maxwell shook her head and placed a grip on her hair, I had a feeling of where this was going so I gently took her hands and held them.

Maxwell let out a whimper and leaned towards me.

I sighed and slowly stood up and grabbed Maxwell's bag. She stood up as well and followed me out to the front office. I knocked on the principals door and then looked down at Maxwell.

She let out a little cough and rubbed her eyes. I sighed and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. The principal opened the door and smiled.

"hello miss Lovato, whats wrong?" She titled her head and looked at Maxwell. I held up a finger and crouched down to face Maxwell.

"honey do me a favor and go sit in the chair over there, I'll be back in a few minutes." Maxwell slowly nodded and walked over and sat down.

The principal opened her door and motioned for me to go in.

"listen, I know you don't know everything about the students but I just want to know a little bit more about Maxwell. She is scared to go back to the orphanage and I honestly don't know what to do." The principal nodded and scratched her head.

"I cant do anything about this situation Miss Lovato and neither can you. You have to put her on the after school bus and send her home." I let out a sigh and shook my head.

"Fine" I muttered. I walked out the office door and saw Maxwell sitting on the same chair while fiddling with her fingers.

I walked over to Maxwell and held out my hand, she looked up and slowly grabbed it.

We walked out to the parking lot and I stopped and crouched down to her level.

"Honey you have to go home, the principal said I cant do anything about this. But I'll tell you what. On the weekend I'm gonna come down to the orphanage and see what I can do about helping you out." Maxwell's eyes lit up and she nodded her head. I smiled and stood back up.

We stood and waited for the after school bus. Once it came I let go of Maxwell's hand, she instantly became even more sad.

I pat her back and she slowly walked onto the bus.

The driver started the bus and soon enough, pulled away from the school.

I sighed as I walked to my car. I got in and rested my head on the steering wheel.

This was going to be harder than I thought.