Psych Fanfic- The New Employee

Cait stared at the door to the Psych detective agency, contemplating whether or not to enter. She needed a job and had noticed that there were only two employees in the esteemed agency. A tall black man stared at her as he walked in. He sat in his desk across from his best friend.

"Shawn, why is there a girl staring at our door?" Burton Guster, more commonly known as Gus, asked.

"I don't know, why don't you ask her yourself?" said Shawn.

"I think I will," as he said this, Cait walked in.

"Excuse me. Are you Mr. Spencer and Mr. Guster?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Yes. I'm Psychic Detective Shawn Spencer and this is my partner, Burton Guster. How may we help you?"

"Hi. I'm Cait Callaway. I noticed that you only have two employees and I kind of need a job or my mom will freak out at me."

"You're only a kid. Why do you NEeEed a job?" Shawn asked, raising and lowering his voice on the word need. Cait leaned casually against the wall, these guys seemed like pretty relaxed people and she didn't want to spoil the atmosphere.

"My dad split with my mom a couple months back. My mom dragged me out here, where the weather is weird and the people are even weirder, from Philadelphia. Mom can't get a job and Dad won't support us, therefore, I need a job. If there's anything I can do for you: clean toilets, take phone calls, or get food, I'll do it. I don't care if I get minimum wage, I'll do it."

Shawn and Gus turned their backs on Cait and started whispering about the situation. "What do you think?" asked Gus.

"I think it sounds too good to be true."

"But how are we going to pay her?"

"Oh, I don't know. What do you think?"

"Let's give her a trial run of one case before paying her."

"Deal," they bumped fists and spun around. "Miss Callaway, we shall take you on fully after you have proved your worth to us. "

"Do I still get paid?" she asked concernedly.

"No. Not yet, you will be paid after your first case with us."

"Oh," Cait looked down at her hands and twiddled her thumbs. Just then, the phone rang. "I'll get it she said, "Psych detective agency, this is Cait. How may I help you?"

"Is Shawn there?" asked the feminine voice at the other end of the line.

"May I ask who's calling?"

"His girlfriend."

Cait raised an eyebrow and handed the phone to Shawn, "It's your girlfriend."

"Jules, what's up!"

"You're needed at the SBPD. A case just came up for you. Who answered the phone?"

"New kid who came in and begged for a job."

"Why wasn't your phone on?"

"Jules, I forgot, sometimes I just forget."

"Did you do a background check?"

"No."

"Shawn, you should have done a background check."

"I'll do one later."

At this point, Cait had pulled out a laptop and was sitting in the outer room. Noticing a basketball hoop, she pulled a bouncy ball out of her bag and tried to shoot, the ball missed and hit Shawn on the back instead.

"Ow! Watch it!" cried Shawn, wincing at the pain and rubbing his back.

"Shawn, what's up?" asked Juliet.

"Cait just threw a bouncy ball at me."

"I'm sorry," said Jules sympathetically, "Meet me at the SBPD in thirty minutes and bring Gus."

"Sure Jules, I'll see you there." He hung up the phone and grabbed his jacket. "Gus, we have a mission."

Gus grabbed his jacket. Cait lept up, "Am I in on this mission?"

"Sure, you can get us breakfast and meet us at the SBPD later."

"Where is the SBPD?"

"Where is the SBPD? Do you hear that Gus?"

"Shawn, did you take into account that she isn't necessarily from around here?" asked Gus.

"I am from the East Coast." she replied snarkily.

"Sorry," Shawn continued to give her directions from the office.

Cait wrote them on her hand, "Oh, I almost forgot. I'll need a list and some money."

"Money?"

"Yeah, to buy breakfast for you guys."

"Gus, give her money."

"No, you."

"I don't want to give her money," Shawn squeaked.

"Fine, Shawn." Gus shelled out twenty dollars and wrote up a list of food.

Cait looked at the list, "What's with all the pineapple?"

"Pineapple is delicious, kid. That's what is with it!"

Cait skipped out of the office and headed to where her bicycle and helmet were parked. She got on and pedaled up the street and out of sight. After she had pedaled off, Shawn and Gus hopped in the Blueberry and headed off to the Santa Barbara Police Department, home to some of their favorite and least favorite cops.