1.7: An Unforeseen Event

There he was, standing on the dusty floor wearing a dirty, white shirt and blue jeans torn at the knees. There were rips in his shirt and it was smeared with dirt and blood. Cuts dotted his arms and face and he looked like he should be in pain. It looked like he should be being treated for his wounds.

But instead, he was right in front of me. And he was smiling.

"...Jungkook?" I said tentatively. I couldn't believe my eyes. "Where...where have you been?"

He shrugged, almost too casually, but winced as he moved his shoulders. "Just here and there."

"What do you mean, 'just here and there'?" A strange mixture of anger and relief flooded my body and my brain . "Do you know how worried we were?"

"'We'?" He said in a surprised tone, ignoring my other questions.

"Yeah, 'we'. Jimin and I," why was he so shocked at something like that?

"Jimin knew I was gone?" He looked at me questioningly.

"Yes, Jimin knew," I replied. "Of course he would know. But seriously, Jungkook, what happened? Are you okay?"

His eyes became distant. "I just wanted to leave for a while. I'm sorry I didn't contact you all."

"Jungkook, it's obviously more than just that," I frowned. "What about the hyungs forgetting you? Not just them, everyone forgot you."

A flash of pain crossed his face before he smiled to cover it up, looking away. "It's really complicated, Tae. I'm not sure if I can explain."

"Can you at least try?" I didn't like pushing him, but I wanted to help.

"That's the thing," he said sadly. "I don't even know if I'm allowed to explain."

"What do you mean?"

"Just drop it, okay?" Annoyance crept into his words and anger flickered in his eyes.

He clearly wasn't in the mood to talk about that. "Sorry...I'm just worried." I took a step forward and was about to hug him but he backed away.

"Wait, hyung stop--" I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly. A bright flash blinded me and I was thrown back against the door with a loud thunk as if I had stood in front of a detonating bomb.

Pain exploded in front of my eyes and stars crowded my vision. My head throbbed from slamming against the wall and I groaned, holding it as I coughed from the dust I was inhaling. I could faintly hear Jungkook's footsteps rushing over to me.

"Hyung, are you okay?" He asked, his voice muffled by the ringing filling my head. "I'm sorry, I was trying to warn you--"

"W-what was that?" I tried looking up at him but winced as a sharp spike of pain stabbed at the back of my head.

"It's because of me. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

"Can you help me up at least?" I reached for his hand.

"I can't...I can't do that." Through my squinted eyes, I could see he was backing away. "Hyung, I can't touch you."

The ringing stopped immediately. "You can't what?"

"I can't touch you. And if you try to touch me..." I opened my eyes fully as he pointed at right arm. To my horror, a thin gash began making its way down his bicep. My stomach lurched as it continued, reaching his elbow before it stopped. Dark blood trickled from the open wound and he wiped it off with his shirt.

"This isn't real," I whispered, my voice barely louder than a breath. The blood he kept attempting to stop continued to flow unstaunched. I laughed nervously. "This isn't real. It's some twisted prank."