Chapter Thirteen

Turns out, a lot could go wrong.

Taehyung and Jungkook showed up together, side by side to the park Jiyong mentioned. There was a picnic table under a tree where they saw Jiyong and the elders sitting together.

"Boys, good to see you. I was expecting just one of you, but... guess I shouldn't be surprised." Jiyong grinned wide, maniacal. It made Taehyung nervous. Jungkook pressed his fingertips to Taehyung's back between his shoulder blades, points of contact that burned through his shirt. 

Taehyung could see Jimin, Hoseok, Namjoon and Seokjin across the park, trying to look conspicuous. Or not, he could see Jimin and Hoseok hanging upside down from a jungle gym.

He wasn't sure where Yoongi was waiting, only that he could sense the angels presence. He felt Jungkook's hand on his own under the table, fingers tracing letters on his skin. Northwest. Yoongi was behind them to the right, watching.

"So. What kind of peace treaty are you thinking?" Jungkook asked. One of the elders, Heechul, if Taehyung remembered right, pulled out an envelope and slid a thick stack of papers from it, sliding it across the table.

"Very simply, we'd allow easier access and elect an ambassador each to discuss common problems instead of settling them with violence." Heechul explained. The other elder, Taeyang, nodded. Taehyung vaguely remembered a third elder, Amber. She was absent. Suspicious.

"Right, and why do you want this treaty?" Jungkook leaned forward on the table. He looked serious, regal. Like the king he was. Taehyung admired it, admired him.

"Oh, come now. We always want the path of least resistance." Taeyang said. It set off alarms in Taehyung's head, eyes narrowing.

"Meaning?" Taehyung spoke up.

The elders obviously weren't expecting him to talk, turning to him with thinly veiled contempt. Taehyung didn't budge.

"Meaning... well, we don't need our angels being mowed down by... your demons. For reasons that are easily solved with conversation." Heechul wasn't prepared for the question, Taehyung could tell.

Jungkook waited for Taehyung's cue, glancing from his peripherals. Taehyung turned his hand so their fingers laced together, squeezing in comfort. 

"Mhm. Our demons have been down under for a long time, the ones that go up don't bother with any angels they find." Taehyung reasoned. Jiyong made an agreeing face.

Heechul and Taeyang both looked at Jiyong, expecting back-up.

"While he's... technically right, we have had some rogue demons. Ones that take advantage of... shall we say, lax restrictions." Jiyong said in a breezy manner, pragmatic.

"And what do you mean by that?" Taehyung scowled.

"I just mean our rookie king isn't exactly stern with any of the escapees. Especially recently, you know. With his little infatuation." Jiyong looked like he was trying to be innocent, smiling nicely. Taehyung wanted to wipe that smile off his face with a punch to the jaw.

"Yes, about that 'infatuation'... Jungkook, it's not exactly ideal for us to have one of our own be in a relationship with the king of Hell." Heechul commented.