Metamorphosis

Assignment goal: "A character changing from one thing to another"

"Wolf! Come look!"

The orange fox, with a black paws and white tip on her tail, bounced around in excitement.

"Come look! Come look!"

A grey wolf with a missing left eye rustled out of his den.

"Look, look!"

The fox pointed with her small black button-like nose as her head and chest were touching the ground, her bushy tail swaying side to side.

"It's a new friend!"

The wolf looked down at the creature. It was small, much smaller than a mouse, but bigger than the red insect that the fox had found yesterday.

"I'm calling him Leaf, because he eat leaves"

The fox grinned proudly, rose up upon all four of her black paws. The wolf looked to the fox then to the creature. Lowering his head, the wolf's good eye peered closely at the small creature. It was mostly green; though there were stripes of yellow, white, and black. It had six legs, just like the small red insect.

The creature nibbled on a leaf as the two watched him.

The wolf lifted his head then tilted it to one side when he looked back to the fox.

"He's so cool, right?" The fox bounced on her front paws, grinning from ear to ear, "Leaf will make the perfect friend!"

The wolf looked at creature, then to the fox. He nodded then went back into his den, leaving the young fox to talk to Leaf. Leaf continued to eat his leaves. The fox talked and talked the day away.

The sun soon sets, hidden by the tall dark trees of the wood. The fox retreated into the den, snuggled up against the warm, grey coat of her old friend.

Leaf curls up alone in the cool summer night, his tree having many holes, barely hiding his plump green body. Rustles of night lingered until the pink dawn broke the purple night. The sun rose above the old trees of the wood, awakening the creatures of the day.

The young fox pranced from the den. Another morning of play until the wolf rose from the den. The time to hunt had arrived. "I'll be back tomorrow" the fox chimed, "Be good, Leaf!" Leaf nibbled on his leaf. The wolf and fox left their home to the rabbit field, but did not return till late that night.

The purple night, sprinkled with white stars and the silver moon. The moon lit their path home. Their bellies full, and their catch clenched in tooth. From the the pink dawn to the blue day, their catch was now a meal. By the time the orange set to the misty dusk, the fox and wolf slept within the purple night till dawn could start the cycle once more.

On the cold den floor, little rabbit bones were scattered near the entrance of the cavern. The wolf laid to one side with his eye closed. His chest slowly lifting then slowly deflating, a low humming bellowed with each deflated. A paw would twitch now and then. The wolf's mind was deep into another world.

"Wolf! Wolf! Come quick!"

The fox jumped onto the sleeping wolf, her paws landing on his stomach.

"Leaf is missing, you have to help me find him!"

The wolf gave a small grunt, slowly rising from where he laid, then followed the fox to where she saw Leaf last.

"I helped him to this small tree here, but now there is this fruit and no Leaf"

Fox pouted, her tail curled under her, her ears drooping back slightly.

The wolf lightly pressed his nose to the fruit.

"Does it have his scent?" He looked at her with his one eye which held a neutral expression, "This is Leaf."

The fox's jaw dropped then looked at the new Leaf in confusion. The wolf walked back to his den as the young, orange fox lays down near the tree. Gazing upon her small friend in his new state.

The next day, the wolf carried a rabbit carcass back to his den. As he walked past the small trees, he saw the young fox and an orange butterfly play together. The fox was leaping into the air as the butterfly frolics just above her. The wolf smiled upon the scene of joyful play.