VOLDEMORT'S ADVOCATE

I picked up the book from the shelf for the umpteenth time and ran my hand through the pages, breathing in the scent

I picked up the book from the shelf for the umpteenth time and ran my hand through the pages, breathing in the scent. I turned it over to one of my favorite parts, the final battle at Hogwarts.

"I hate Voldemort. He was the worst villain I've ever seen," my friend commented out of the blue.

I immediately flipped around, glaring at him.

"Whatever Lord Voldemort did was for a cause. He wasn't exactly someone who killed senselessly. All that was a craving for power and as we know, power blinds. I think Lord Voldemort could definitely be pardoned," I objected.

My friend looked at me with an expression which said, "Are you mad?"

Explaining my point to foolish and blind Harry lovers was a waste of time, so I stormed out of the library, walking home fast.

I stopped abruptly as an eerie green halo surround me and I found myself falling.

To my utter surprise, I landed in a big hall with a gallery of spectators.

Looking around, my heart pounding, I saw a very familiar figure just inches from me.

He threw back the dark cloak and looked at me. He had slits for nose and narrow red eyes which had a predatory gleam.

"VOLDEMORT!" I screamed, unable to believe that he really exists.

His face formed into cunning smile, "You must be my defender at the court of magic. You have to fight for me in the Tribunal of Magic and defeat the lawyer appointed by the Ministry of Magic. Or else, you're trapped in this realm forever."

"But why me? I'm not a lawyer," I shuddered, "I don't know anything about this world. You don't exist."

"I definitely do, your muggle world doesn't know of our existence. Though I guess that Rowling has definitely made this secret world public. Someday we need to give her a glimpse of us too," he chuckled at my discomfort.

I was trapped. I had to defend him if I wanted to escape. But how? All the defences I had wanted to say to my friend, came flooding back to me.

I definitely could forward Voldemort's case. I wasn't sure about winning though.

I looked around and sure enough there was the golden trio. Harry, Ron and Hermione were busy talking in low whispers, occasionally glancing at me.

My reverie was broken by a withered witch in purple robes, "We give you only one chance to present your defences of the heinous crimes committed by the accused, Mr Voldemort. This includes murder of his father, then of Miss Myrtle, not to forget Lily and James Potter and trying to murder Mr Harry Potter."

I looked at the judge. Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic.

"Your Honor, Judge Cornelius, respected jury members and the prosecuting party, I, Shreya Goswamy, Attorney for Defense present to you the following defending points as a justification, for my client, Mr. Tom Marvolo Riddle aka Lord Voldemort," I began, addressing the jury.

All eyes were boring into me.

"As a child, Tom was extra-ordinary and talented. But as all of us do, he feared death, and hence craved for immortality. His teachers granted him knowledge about the horcruxes, which were pieces of one's soul sealed in objects," I continued, "There is nothing wrong with the desire to live forever. Plus, he was willing to make the horcruxes out of his own soul. I, hereby request your honor to question the teachers at Hogwarts School, such as Professor Slughorn, who are solely responsible for putting such ideas into the vulnerable minds of children."

The judge nodded, gesturing for me to go on.

" Voldemort's childhood was riddled with problems. His dad left his mother just because he realized that she was a witch. His mother died giving birth to him. These had a great impact on creating a negative perception about the muggles and the mud-bloods. He got no love and support from teachers, whatsoever. His friends always treated him as a freak. At a young age, such events left a lasting impression on his mind."

I stopped to let the words sink in.

"Voldemort wanted the extreme power. There is nothing wrong with the idea of striving for the best. Voldemort never got a chance to be loved, by being good, so he turned to the darkness to achieve his ends," I argued.

Harry was staring right at me, his mouth open.

I chuckled to myself.

"He always strived for knowledge maybe dark at times, but also bright, to know everything of the unknown magical realm inside out," I added.

Hermione grimaced.

"Voldemort was against half-bloods and muggle-borns because he believed that the muggles' inclusion and also half-bloods created an unnecessary interaction of the two worlds which would affect the wizards more. The humans are violent and untrustworthy," I flinched at my own words.

And then an idea hit me. The ultimate argument, against which nothing could stand.

"According to the prophecy by Professor Trelawney, Mr. Riddle would be challenged by a boy. 'Neither can live, while the other survives.' Voldemort's life was under threat and all the steps he took were to defend himself. According to the law, it is legal to defend one's life; if one feels that it is in danger. And moreover it was by chance that he chose Mr Potter. Even Neville's parents had defied the Dark Lord thrice," My voice was the only sound except a magical quill, recording my words.

"Because of Mr. Harry Potter, Lord Voldemort was made to live a life of misery for 11 years in hiding, all alone in the woods. While Mr. Potter got away with just a lightning scar on his forehead."

Harry's hands automatically went to his scar.

I looked at the expectant crowd. I needed to make my defences for the murders.

"As for the murder of Myrtle, my Lord, it was an accident. Lily Potter deliberately came in his way. My client, Voldemort, had promised that he wouldn't cause any destruction, only if he gets Harry," I looked straight at Harry, meeting his gaze unflinchingly.

"Thus, it would be injustice to declare my client as guilty. He has a terribly troubled past and a terribly uncertain future. All he wanted is a better life for all wizards and to protect them from extinction," I concluded, "I demand justice for my client! Thank you!" I ended my monologue , looking around at the people, ready to devour me at any moment.

"Damned muggle," Harry screamed, waving his wand at me. His eyes were burning embers.

I'm a second I found myself being sucked in, falling again.

I found myself on the road, exactly where I had been before being transported to the magical realm.

I guess Mr Potter feared he'd lose the case, if I stayed there any longer. So he had no choice but to send me back.

Well whatever it is, I promised to myself, to go through the whole story again, to strengthen my arguments in favor of the darkness. Who knows, someone may take me to the tribunal again?

I smiled to myself, setting out on my way home.

1194 words completed.

Written for the Devil's Advocate contest by Fantasy