Chapter Five: Shelter

Sorry, I haven't updated for a couple of days but tomorrow is Monday so I thought I would end the weeked with an update!

Chapter Five: Shelter

"Okay, so we are going to be making a shelter. Under ten, find some sticks. Over ten, find some rocks. Over sixteen, please get leaves, grass, silk, sap, branches, stuff like that to help us make shelters. Will Anna and Max please step up." I said.

Sure enough, they came. "I want you guys to look for firewood and food. Thanks guys!" I smile. They nod and walk off, Max making sure that the ten year old doesn't run out of his sight. What a good person!

Birds chirped happily above and I sighed... how much I would give just to be out of this isalnd and free like these birds.

I snap out of my trance and eye the tipis. Since we have sticks, I could make a small hut, maybe. I knock down four tipis and get a large tree trunk that had fallen in a storm. I stand it up in the middle and use it as a base. I line the floors with sticks and then build a square-like shape around it, using nearby grass to connect everything. I then make a simple room and make a door.

Out of breath, I look behind me to see Max and Anna back. Anna carries berries and fruits, while Max carries several, heavy looking pieces of firewood. I winch. It sure looks heavy! I quickly take three pieces off and place them beside the fire. He places the rest. "Good job, you guys get the first hut, choose two other people to sleep with you." Max nods and hugs the little girl. 

They didn't know each other before the plane crash, but they seemed to have known each other before.  That's strange.

I place the fruits and berries into one of the leaf floor tipis. That will be our food storage room. I put the rest of our food in there. Rose, a nice lady with dyed red hair with blonde streaks took Evan for a walk. 

After I complete another house, most of the group is back and building onto the huts and adding more. I help them a bit and in the end, we have five shelters that are well heated and made to keep the bugs out. Everybody has claimed a tent, and even Charlotte, a forty six year old, is making blankets with Kayla, a thirty one year old!

After they make ten blankets, we put them in two tents. It's getting dark and so I get Evan, Jena and Luke to sleep in our same group. Haley also decided to sleep with us as the other ones availible were all full of boys, boys, and more boys... and Haley is not that boyish. Let me tell you some facts about Haley that I have learned over the time we have survived here. They are very interesting.

1: Haley can be shy, but outgoing.

2: Look past her dirty blonde haired, green eyed, frecklified appearance you would see a sweet girl.

3: She wears glasses, and was wearing contacts when we came. Since she is kinda forgetfull, she has nearly them.

4: She is very nerdy. She used to be a cheerleader and the populaur girl of the school but when her boyfriend broke up with her, she changed to the nerd. 

5: She has never bullied anyone and is nice.

6: Despite being a nerd, Haley loves to wear dresses, skirts, makeup and talk about girly things. She just likes to do math and stuff, that's all.

7: That's Haley; it's her, and you can't really change that.