ii: venus's pov

VENUS'S POV

I was running around trying to get my siblings to cooperate. "MADDIE GET OVER HERE!" I shrieked, as she was playing around in dirt. She was still little, 5 actually. She didn't understand how bad this is for me and well....all my other siblings. I happened to be the oldest at 16.

My parents had a bunch of children. Well, at once there were twins, then Jared, Kare then Maddie, the last one. I happen to be the first born so I'm like the mother. My parents had so many children but they can't take care of them all.

There is some unspoken rule in my house hold that if your 14 your are on your own. Only one other sibling is 14 and that's Darell.
I cleaned Maddie up and dressed her. I rather spend today in the woods with thrust, hunting, and stabbing. I was a good knife wielder, according to thrust.

As my family walked down to the reaping I couldn't help but feel sick. Like, really sick. I had to have 5 mandatory slips, because I'm 16. But then I added slips for each sibling and my parents.

So that's 12 people. But for me since I need 5 mandatory slips, times that by 12, that's 60. But I always add thrust and her sibling so actually that's 14 people. So actually that's 70 slips. I was definitely fucked.

As we signed in I walked to my section. I looked around for thrust. I couldn't find her but I shrugged it off. "Ladies first!" Effie yelled. "Venus Mercury!" My breath hitched.

See, emotionally I was strong. I wasn't normally scared and, I wasn't. But I decided to cry. So I did. I burst into tears and walked up. My siblings grabbed at me and I just walked up, head in the air, tears in my eyes.

I waited for the boys to be called. I left reality and thought. I thought. That's all I did. I sighed loudly and audibly.

I snapped back into reality when I heard the words, "Awanita Nerwenye." 'Ok wow I'm killing my best friend' I thought. As she walked up I saw her sister and my heart broke. I loved her sister.

She was so innocent. I waited for thrust to come up. I wanted to scream. But I didn't. "May the odds be ever in your favor". Those words echoed in my head, bouncing around

The odds were not in my favor today.