Irony

What the color green means to Lucas Green-Wiltshire.

It was a cuddly winter evening, everyone ignoring Caitlyn and Lucas, like usual. They weren't talking either, just cuddling, listening to each other's calm and relaxed breathing, sharing a silent moment on one of the room’s couches.

Caitlyn admired her lover's relaxed face, looking so peaceful and serene, half lidded eyes and slightly open mouth, a distant expression on his face.

That was why she was a little startled when Lucas suddenly started talking in a firm, but somehow bitter voice.

“I don't like the color green.”

Caitlyn blinked once, then twice, not sure what to do with this information. “But nearly everything you do has to do with the color green. Heck, I'd even go as far as to say you are the color green!”, she laughed, making her lover frown in return.

“How is one the color? Also, I'm serious, Cait”, he said with slight disdain. “No joking about my melodramatic thoughts, it makes me wanna cry.”

Caitlyn just laughed again in response. “Well, for once, you are a Slytherin. Your house's color is green. You wear green every day!”

Lucas shook his head. “Doesn't mean I like it. It's just the rules, nothing I can do if I don't wanna get kicked from Hogwarts.” Caitlyn sighed, glancing at his green tie. “I don't think you look bad in green. In fact, I really like green on you. It looks good.” Lucas shrugged. “I look good in anything”, he said with a smirk, making the blonde Gryffindor roll her eyes.

“Okay then, how about this...your eyes are green. Emerald, shiny green, not turquoise or something.”

A small frown showed on the Slytherin's face. “If I can't do anything about the green uniform, what am I supposed to do about my eye color?”

“Don't you like your eye color? Cause I like it.”

“Well, you do have green eyes yourself.”

“I also like green. Especially on you.”

Lucas blushed lightly at that. “This isn't about what you think about green or me! Or green on me! This is about how I'm not the embodiment of that stupid color!”

Caitlyn laughed, patting her embarrassed lover's shoulder. “Do you hate your eyes? Never answered”, she tried again with a softer tone, taking the brunette's hand and squeezing it slightly. She knew he liked to be encouraged like that.

Just like she predicted, he let out a content sigh, relaxing quite a bit. The blonde Gryffindor felt a sting of guilt, she had not noticed how he had tensed during their discussion. It never was her goal to make him uncomfortable and distraught.

Trying to amend, she rubbed gentle circles on his hand with her thumb, leaning her head on his shoulders. Lucas smiled at her and she smiled back.

“...no, I don't. I don't hate how my eyes look, I don't hate myself if you're implying that.” Caitlyn nodded happily and left a peck on his cheek. Her lover blushed, which in turn made her giggle. His frantic looking around to see if anyone was watching made her shush him however, calming him down before he panicked again.

The short silence afterwards made Lucas think he had won their petty discussion, his embarrassment forgotten when he flashed her his best Slytherin smirk. “No arguments left? See, Cait, I'm not the embodiment of the color green. That's stupid.”

She rolled her eyes at the smirk and comment. “Bloody hell, your last name is literally Green! Also, you weren't able to refute my arguments about your eye color!”

When she mentioned his family name, Lucas's face soured immediately, making her feel a little bad for bringing it up.

“I hate my family”, he simply told her.

Caitlym frowned and looked at him with a remorseful face. “Sorry, Lu...I shouldn't have brought it up.”

“It's fine”, he said in a stiff voice in which he only talked if he wasn't fine and wanted to hide that. “I'm sorry”, she repeated, starting to massage his hand again. By the third time, his eyes softened and his features relaxed. “...don't worry Cait, this discussion is pointless anyway.”

She agreed with a short laugh. To her surprise, Lucas leaned down to leave a kiss on her head, of course, only after looking around to check if anyone was watching. Caitlyn was positively baffled, Lucas usually never initiated showing affection in public.

“...maybe I don't hate the color green that much anymore”, he whispered in her ear after a while. “Cause I love your green eyes. And cause you seem to like me in green that much.”