Chapter 24: Avoid Hiashi

After Kisame made his get away with a nod to Naruto and a quick bow to Hinata the couple stood staring in the direction he had gone. Hinata followed the shark man's trail till he left her Byakugan's vision range. After Kisame's agreement to help them, there had been a tense silence till Kisame had chuckled lowly.

Instead of tensing up at Kisame's change of mood, Hinata had actually straightened out and had stood facing Kisame in a seemingly relaxed manner.

A few sharp glances between the trio and Kisame was gone.

Naruto walked slowly to his wife's side before sighing.

"I wanted to have a go with him. It would be a good skill test."

Hinata scoffed. "A good test? Dearest husband, a man like Kisame is not someone you fight for a test."

Naruto shrugged. "You're right but it still would've been fun."

Hinata just shook her head and smiled. "Come on. We should go back."

Naruto paled. "Uh, love."

Hinata rolled her eyes. They were using way to many nicknames. "Yes Naruto?"

"Remember what we promised your father?"

Hinata paused. "Craaaaap."

Naruto chuckled. "I really should have never taught you to swear when upset."

Hinata shrugged defeated. "I always had in me just not the confidence to say it out loud. Having you tied to my finger boosted my confidence enough I can get angry in public."

Naruto chuckled and kissed her cheek. "Still, what are we going to do about your father?"

A sigh. "I don't know. He's not going to take a raincheck on the information. He will want his answers immediately."

Silence. Neither of them talked. They just thought. Naruto plopped down on the ground and Hinata followed after. They leaned on each other and just took a minute to breath. So much was happening. So much was being changed. And they could only hope it was for the better.

Now they had the daunting task of explaining to Hiashi all that had happened. How were they supposed to explain a war that hadn't happened yet and may never happen? How were they supposed to explain that the reason they were so advance was because they were thirteen years older than their bodies?

How were they supposed to take on the weight of the world?

"Hina."

"Yes?"

"Want to run away?"

Hinata sat up and looked at her husband. "What do you mean?"

"Literally run away. After we make sure the Massacre goes the way we want it to, lets just go."

Hinata laid her head down on Naruto's lap. She stared up at his face. Into those captivating blue eyes. "What would we do?"

Naruto grinned slightly. "We'd go see the world. We would see it all. Find people. Make friends. I mean. Deidara was only two years older than us. We find him, smack his head and he'll stay in Iwa. Go say hi to Mei and explore the Land of Water. Go to the Hidden Cloud. Find Bee. Basically give ourselves more time with the people we met before."

Hinata smiled softly at the glimmer in her husband's eyes. The excitement in his voice. She wanted that too. She hadn't realized it but that was what she wanted. She wanted to see it. And see it with him. If they were going to fix things. Then why not fix it all.

"If we don't go till after the Massacre then we've got to avoid my father for six months."

Naruto pursed his lips and leaned down so his forehead rested on his palm. "Maybe we don't have too."

"What?"

"Maybe we don't have to stay here. I mean. Itachi already knows what we want him to do. He's prepared. And I would say it might take us a month at most to cement plans enough for us to leave."

"Hmmm. That's still a month of avoiding my father."

Naruto grinned. "Whose to say we have to go back? I've got an apartment and Konoha's a big place. If we wanted to he would only ever see us in public where he can't corner us."

Hinata grinned back. "I like the way you think."

"Of course you do. I got all my rationality from being around you for almost a year solid."

A giggle and then Hinata kissed him. A sweet chaste kiss of promise. They would do it. They just had to avoid one clan head for a month. Rather easy when compared to fighting a war.

-------
Had Naruto said easy those two weeks ago? He was wrong. This was way harder than fighting a war. He sucked down air in large gasps while scanning and sensing for any nearby Hyuga. None in his immediate area. Good. He had to pay off the ring now since they were leaving in two weeks. He and Hinata had cleaned out the bars the past three nights and he now had enough to pay off the ring and start buying supplies.

Hiashi was a persistent man. When the couple first returned they had returned looking a bit batter and bruise not all that worse for wear. Their injuries and disheveled state was from the intense spar they had had in the forest after they had both agreed on the plan. They wanted to fake exhaustion so Hiashi would leave them alone for their first day back.

It had worked. They had both mumbled about enemy and foreign. A fight and being tired. Hiashi finally conceded and called for Kara. She had patched them up in no time and sent the two off to bed.

The next morning they purposefully stumbled in late so that Hiashi couldn't talk to them for very long. Hiashi tried to probe but all he learned was how Naruto and Hinata had followed a man through town. Before the could get any further a messenger popped in and said that the Hokage had asked for Hiashi to stop by.

A suspicious glare was sent the young couples way but they had no idea what the Hokage wanted. They had eased up on document snooping when the holiday season had approached. They were out of touch with current situations but it worked out for them that Hiashi only came back late and responded to the question of how the meeting went.

Apparently a gennin team with a branch family Hyuga had run into trouble and had gone missing for a day before showing up battered. Hiashi had been roped into the briefing and discussions afterward about possibly being targeted.

A rather dull day for Hiashi but a fun free day of planning and errand running for Naruto and Hinata.

Hiashi had waved them off and had gone into his office to do some paperwork before going to bed without talking to the pair again.

The next day was busy. And so was the next. It was the fourth day when they got to the part about the wall. Hiashi had stopped them there and had asked for details before leaving to go check and then he was in a meeting with the Hokage for the rest of the day.

And he got no farther in information except that they had left the village and headed away.

It had now been two weeks and Hiashi had had it. He wanted his end of the bargain fulfilled. He had dispatched ten Hyuga throughout the village to track down the young couple. Hiashi didn't know that Naruto and Hinata knew of his plans. Hiashi had told the other Hyuga that he was testing Naruto and Hinata on their ability to hide in a crowd.

Then the hunt had commenced and now Naruto was here. Transformed and just trying to pay off his wife's ring. Only two weeks left.